FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More Corrupt BS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Corrupt BS
    Posted: 15 Dec 17 at 3:39pm
I think you'll find it's the RYA that control them both so yes, you could be right.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 17 at 5:35pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 17 at 5:10pm
Yachtings Own BS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 9:37am
Reading this article on how classes are selected makes my head spin: https://www.sail-world.com/news/201694/Olympic-class-table-half-set-for-2024

Seems Finn, 470 and RSX are in firing line. 

If the Finn went I would feel sorry for the bigger gentleman, as there wouldn't really be anywhere to go for those over 90 kg. Having said, the ladies only have one option in the radial, so maybe it should be the same for men?

470 would be a shame if it went. I think it's probably the closest to the average dinghy most of us sail. 

I would quite fancy a short handed offshore race though. I don't think the stadium racing has ever worked as you can never really get close enough for it to work. I think the best viewing is done by mounting cameras and technology on the boats; which gets easier the bigger the boat you have. I think following an offshore race from the opening ceremony to the closing one would make a good narrative too.... equipment cost and accessibility for third world nations would be a major sticking point for the IOC though. 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 11:09am
Petition to get sailing out of the Olympics anyone?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 11:19am
As far as windsurfing is concerned the RSX is like putting a keel on a 49er. Bring back Raceboards if it's course racing or, if the conditions can be reasonably guaranteed, do slalom, freestyle or waves.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

As far as windsurfing is concerned the RSX is like putting a keel on a 49er.
As an outsider I can't really see any difference. Makes me think that it's probably like that for the general public with whether the 49er or a 470 gets picked. 

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Bring back Raceboards if it's course racing or, if the conditions can be reasonably guaranteed, do slalom, freestyle or waves.
If there is one aspect Olympics sports I don't like, it's judges. Higher, faster stronger.  
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 12:01pm
I get where you're coming from with that but pretty much the whole of Gymnastics has judges, Equestrianism too, and I'm sure there are others.

The problem with the RSX is that it is neither one thing or the other, it's trying to be a formula type planing board with the CB up, but it's nearly double the weight, (it's actually 2.5 kg heavier than a much larger Raceboard). With the CB down it's trying to be a Raceboard but it's nearly 1.4 metres shorter so basically it's slow to plane, slow when planing, slow in displacement mode and, if many who have sailed one are to be believed, distinctly unpleasant to sail (much as a 49er with 80kg of lead underneath would likely be).  Ouch

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 12:31pm
I've not sail an RSX, but after trying a new 'modern' board with a centreboard on holiday last year promptly went home and bought a lovely old race board (Mistral Equipe) as the modern wide board was completely rubbish!. People forget just how awesome they were upwind and down and great to see a bit of a resurgence in them
OK 2249
D-1 138
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 18 at 2:06pm
Campaign for plain english anyone.
 It was deemed possible to change the names of the Events, so long as the nature of the Events themselves would remain unchanged, in a separate process in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>