FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Sailing Report on Bora Gulari Accident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Sailing Report on Bora Gulari Accident
    Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 10:23pm
Here's the World Sailing report on the accident that led to Bora Gulari losing several fingers.
WorldSailingInvestigationReportNacra17IncidentAugust2017

Wrapping that control line round your hand to get a better grip is a *really* bad idea!
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 6:59am
Note of caution for everyone ☠️
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 7:35am
Basic old fashioned seamanship. Don't stand in a bight or a coil, don't take turn that will become a hitch.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:13am
Ouch... I had a friend who lost a finger tip falling off the back of tornado with a kite sheet wrap over his hand. He was sailing with Hugh Styles at the time who was on this investigation team. 

I quite often take wraps on the main, which I know is a bad habit. But really just upwind where I don't feel 200 has quite the speeds to cause the injuries though... a snapped toe strap may achieve the sudden fall though.  

Generally I think dinghy sailing is very safe. Certainly around the events i've been to I can only recall less than a dozen serious incident, plus a few more recounted second hand. 

Does anyone know where you can buy those cut resistant gripper gloves? Although at $19 they're quite a bit more expensive than the builders merchants.  

Edited by mozzy - 23 Nov 17 at 9:19am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:21am
Terrible injury, I hate ropes they're bad enough when travelling at the low speeds we do, but at foiling speeds?

Someone needs to work on a better system of controlling what we do than having to wrap bloody rope round our hands, it's primitive, no other windsport does it, windsurfers use the boom kites use a bar.

Our feet on pedals would be more efficient, all the mechanisms they must employ to get the other foils working, there should be a better system so that in the event of an accident like that everyone gets thrown clear and even then they are not out of the woods, they could easily hit the damn wires holding the masts up.

Yotties should leave speed to the disciplines geared for it or design better safety systems.

A tragedy to that guy he's very talented I'm sure I watched a video of him doing well in a foiling moth event in Hood River, what a nighmare, gutted for him.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:51am
Come on people. 

Mozzy you've always talked good technical sense but really? Cut resistant gloves, get real, a wrap will rip bits off not cut them off gloves ain't saving you, only good practice will help.

And iGRF, you don't HAVE to wrap ropes round your hands, if you do you're doing it wrong.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:53am
Surely the need to wrap a sheet or control line around your hand indicates ... insufficient hand grip, not enough purchases, not enough grip of the ratchet, an inadequate cleat or that the line is to thin.

For the line to sever your fingers, one would think the latter, which may be an unforseen consequence of developments in the strength of modern chordage and a trend to use low diameter lines to reduce friction.

You would never hold onto a wire rope, but now we have low diameter lines with the equivalent strength of wire.

I also know someone who did serious damage to his hand by holding onto the back beam of a Tornado during a capsize. 

Not at all nice, especially given the talent of Bora.  Would be worth giving this publicity to prevent similar accidents.
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:55am
I don't, but 'they' have a habit of wrapping themselves around me, my legs mainly, about which I have a childhood phobia, when something wrapped itself round my legs when I was young swimming in the Thames at Oxford it held me under and I came very close to drowning.
I can't count the number of times I've completely lost the plot because of bloody ropes wrapping themselves where they are not wanted.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Do Different

Mozzy you've always talked good technical sense but really? Cut resistant gloves, get real, a wrap will rip bits off not cut them off gloves ain't saving you, only good practice will help.
I wasn't suggesting them as my own idea, I was referencing the recommendation in the report. 

"c. Personal Safety Equipment – Sailors should wear gloves that protect against cutting by thin
lines and wire under load. These are commercially available at low cost. The standard these
types of gloves are tested is based on cutting with a straight edge. There are no protection
standards that apply to wrapping lines around a hand."

Details in Appendix 3 and copied below.  

Edited by mozzy - 23 Nov 17 at 10:04am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 10:13am
Fair enough Mozzy, I stand corrected. And you've proved my point, how many pages to say what the "old boys" knew along and then come up with a technical answer which won't actually save an injury. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>