FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does my bum look big in this? (crew weight)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does my bum look big in this? (crew weight)
    Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 11:11am
Sorry why does everybody assume that if your heavier you will automatically be less fit?
It might just be your tall and have muscles.
It may be true in my case but not everybody over 90 kilos is fat, unfit and lazy.
I would suggest any of you who think the above try out hiking Giles Scott or for a non pro Andy Couch.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 11:24am
Should the difference of the helm and crew weight from optimal weight be factored into the PY number  Wink after all your sailing weight has little to do with your on course decision making
Happily living in the past
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

Sorry why does everybody assume that if your heavier you will automatically be less fit?
It may be true in my case but not everybody over 90 kilos is fat, unfit and lazy.
I would suggest any of you who think the above try out hiking Giles Scott or for a non pro Andy Couch.

Yeah I just let it slide because most on here dont seem to really engage with reasoned argument they are just "right". I am 95kg and run half marathons in under 1 hour 40 so am looking forward to this weekend and the breeze
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

imho - 85kg is the top limit for Laser sailing inland, even at modest club level.

Interesting that the 2012 Olympic Laser gold medallist weighed just about exactly that

Granted - you cant legislate for sailing against a 70kg sailor in light winds inland but on the whole it seems 90kg would be better overall than 70 ?
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 12:15pm
yep, in regattas maybe.... but inland, as per my post, I'm not so sure.  

FWIW - a 12 year hiatus between Lasers saw my results go from very much back of the club fleet (after the first beat) to middle of the club fleet without even stepping in one for a decade.  Personally I put that down to the 12kg less lard I was carrying in 2015 vs 2003.... it certainly wasn't any improved knowledge or technique on my part, quite the reverse in fact.   
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

yep, in regattas maybe.... but inland, as per my post, I'm not so sure.  

FWIW - a 12 year hiatus between Lasers saw my results go from very much back of the club fleet (after the first beat) to middle of the club fleet without even stepping in one for a decade.  Personally I put that down to the 12kg less lard I was carrying in 2015 vs 2003.... it certainly wasn't any improved knowledge or technique on my part, quite the reverse in fact.   

Sorry to come back to the PY b******s, but could it just be that the laser getting slower reflects a lowering of the standard in some fleets.....because that would be the alternative explanation for your improvement!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Gordon 1430

Yeah I just let it slide because most on here dont seem to really engage with reasoned argument they are just "right". I am 95kg and run half marathons in under 1 hour 40 so am looking forward to this weekend and the breeze
Has anyone in this thread actually suggested heavier means less fit? 
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 2:53pm

Post Options Post Options    Quote&nbsp;Wiclif Quote   Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:33pm
I would suspect that when heavier people lose weight that they are fitter as well, both mentally and physically, so that would make a difference that can be overlooked.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 3:05pm
it's quite ironic... when I dropped from 106kg to 78kg, I ended up with pneumonia, recurring coughs and colds, a general sense of fatigue and irritability.  It took 18 months to build up body strength and get some semblance of fitness back - fitness loosely speaking.  On the plus side, I was using smaller windsurf sails to get planing in 14 knots for the 20 minutes or so I could manage without feeling exhausted.....    

My target weight is now 85kg... although I'm a little over at the moment though but snowboard holidays are booked and that always focuses the diet and fitness programme. 

As for next summer - I'm not sure what boat and club plans are at present.... but I think it make sense to buy a big guys boat and be light for it, if there's no local class racing options that appeals.

Edited by turnturtle - 22 Nov 17 at 3:34pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 3:14pm
Hardly 'everybody' then Gordon? Or 'most here'. I think most here are talking about the physics of sail power, sailing modes and hull shapes. 

I guess what Wiclif is suggesting, is that for people who are carrying excess fat (not just heavy) then in the process of loosing that fat if they were to exercise rather than just diet would likely make them fitter as well as lighter. Although I've known people who have lost fat and got heavier and fitter, so not always true.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>