FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boat
    Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 4:15pm
I'm still trying to work out how these things are going to stay upright when not moving forward at pace with no keel and 100ft mast. I know they show a 'dock position' for the Foils, but unless the foils are made of lead, this an't going to work. A bit oxymoronic to say the least. If they use water for blast, water when in water weights the same as the water around it. Plus they are going to scythe to death the apposing crew off the deck in the Pre Start if they even attempted a luff. i.e this means less match racing than the Cats, which was pretty good from my perspective! Basically there's potential for a lot of death on the AC hands, with all the capsizing and close quarters danger, in my view.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 4:55pm
1-1.5 tonnes per foil (canting keel?). Made of steel, maybe with some lead. 

When in docking mode they should be just heavy enough to keep the boat upright. The should also be just heavy enough to self right (whilst moving them around as the boat comes up). 

Presumably they should provide enough righting moment that the boat can move forward, get flow over the foil which will then providing further righting moment (lifting surfaces well to leeward of boat mass), before really cranking on the power.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by mozzy

1-1.5 tonnes per foil (canting keel?). Made of steel, maybe with some lead. 

When in docking mode they should be just heavy enough to keep the boat upright. The should also be just heavy enough to self right (whilst moving them around as the boat comes up). 

Presumably they should provide enough righting moment that the boat can move forward, get flow over the foil which will then providing further righting moment (lifting surfaces well to leeward of boat mass), before really cranking on the power.

Thanks Mozzy, not seen that till your post.

1.5 tonnes of polished knife at head height traveling a 40 knts. That will be interesting. I wonder if Sabatier will be a 'headline' sponsor?

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 23 Nov 17 at 6:38pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 7:14pm
you will be able to make "room at the mark"

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:23pm
Yes, head-room at the mark.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 10:00am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 12:43pm
Quote: "Not designed to be super stable". This is going to be like 'Ben Hur's" chariot race! I think Ben needs to call his AC75 - 'Boataseaa'.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 1:48pm
So we've gone from 14' two person dinghies via 18' three person and 30' 9 person dinghies to 75' 12 (or so) person dinghies.........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 5:46pm
Oooh 1.5 ton blades whizzing about on an unstable platform.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 17 at 8:54am
Well I do think back to the 'you won't be able to match-race foiling cats' comments back when they were introduced to us.  While it changed the game it certainly wasn't anything like the non (match) event predicted.  So I'll wait and see.

I think there will be technological answers to an exclusion zone around those foils.....

But for sure they're going to do a lot of leeway at slow speeds!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>