FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boat
    Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 9:58am
Originally posted by GybeFunny

Looks like they will still need the non-sailing grinders to provide the power to swing those foils about all the time but they wont get a rest while they cross the boat this time, they will just grind for the entire race!

I am a keen cyclist, perhaps there will be something for me to watch after all?
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 9:50pm
Is it confirmed they're not allowed engines to be able to power the hydraulics this time around?

Requiring grinding for hydraulic pressure just moves it from having a good team of sailors to a good team of meat heads 

It would also make it interesting in terms of tactics. do you go for less crew and less weight or more crew and less work 
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 10:07pm
I would be surprised if this design is used, probably trying to wrong foot opponents.
Will probably be another cat, they look more technical than a mono-hull, it's all about TV.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 9:14pm
What a lot of negativity!  Fear of change I guess?  It looks to me like this has more trickle down potential than the cats, and that's got to be a good thing.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 9:51pm
If something looks badly thought out, despite a slick video, I'm not sure being positive about it is the way to go. As for trickle down, I'm not sure I want to race against dinghies with blades slicing through the air at head level.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 10:13pm
Our poor club Enterprise been in the wars again, just been repaired from last bash, now had shroud ripped out, mast fell like a tree onto another boat, no one hurt, looked spectacular.
Now add this new boat into the mish mash of club handicap racing, ouch.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 10:23pm
In what way does it look badly thought out?  Don't trust the exposed windward foil?
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by A2Z

What a lot of negativity!  Fear of change I guess?  It looks to me like this has more trickle down potential than the cats, and that's got to be a good thing.

I just enjoy watching racing, there are loads of video games already for those that enjoy them
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 8:13am
Originally posted by A2Z

In what way does it look badly thought out?  Don't trust the exposed windward foil?

Looks to me like tacking will cost even more time than it did in the multihulls, meaning tactics are once more going to be defeated by boat speed in the majority of races.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 11:03am
Can't wait to see Ben pulling these aggressive dial downs with the full Swiss army knife on display.

Foils outside max beam are a massive negative for match racing. Could be a good trickle down for ocean racers though where proximity and frequent manauvers aren't as much part of the game. Having said that, these weight foils will be battery powered. Not sure how that will trickle down to ocean racers.  

Otherwise I think the racing will be less close. Essentially, once foiling the new boats won't be much different to the cats (except T foils with flaps moth style, rather than whole foil rake). However, as a 'launch pad' for foiling the mono-hull will have much more drag and much less righting moment. The speed differences will be huge... as if they weren't big enough in the cats. 

Personally, it seems like a lot a effort just so we can the thing a monohull. I like the Cats foiling, and I liked the old monohulls too. They produced different racing each compelling in their own way. This seems like a worse of both worlds design (for match racing). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>