FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refinishing foils

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refinishing foils
    Posted: 05 Nov 17 at 10:31pm
one woodend one grp. 

Usually I’d rub down then spray them first undercoat/primer then top coat. Spray paint from Halfords. 

Any better suggestions?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 17 at 11:00pm
Spray from Halfords isn't the most durable of course. I tend to use a different colour every time So I know where I am rubbing down, but I'm quite happy with multicoloured foils. Few others are! With daggerboards you have to watch out you don't add extra thickness.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 17 at 11:21pm
What paint do you recommend ?
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 7:22am
I would do any major filling work with an epoxy filler. Take a bit of time to flat that back properly. Then go on with a high build primer/ surfacer. This ideally would be an epoxy ( SP Systems used to one called Hibuild, Awlgrip have one as well) it might be tricky to get a small pack retail nowadays so ask the local car paint supplier what he has. 2 pack epoxy ideal, but a 2K acrylic one would probably do OK. When applying this it doesn't matter what it looks like as most is coming back off. This primer surfacer is the key because when that is flatted back which should be easy as it sands well. ( at least 50% of it removed) you will have a perfect finish for a 2K top coat. For this an acrylic car paint will be fine.
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 8:06am
The GRP one, I'd fill the gelcoat with more gelcoat. Wet sand through the grades down to 2000 then Farecla to make it shiny.
The wooden one I'd fill with epoxy, coating any bare bits , then sand to perhaps 400 grit. Then paint it. When the paint is inevitably imperfect, let it harden some where warm for a while then wet sand and polish as above. A hard paint like international 2 pack is one option.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 7:25pm
My Laser foils are showing the reinforcing rods bleeding through, did rub it all down well and use car primer and 5 top coats, but the rust always seems to come back. Any ideas?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 9:03pm
Find one of the original wooden sets of foils. Problem solved!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Riv

My Laser foils are showing the reinforcing rods bleeding through, did rub it all down well and use car primer and 5 top coats, but the rust always seems to come back. Any ideas?

If it's just rust staining, which is usually is then ignore it
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 17 at 10:43pm
If rust is returning then the coating is breaking down. Think there are special products for preparing and priming steel, but how reconcilable with finishing laser foils they are is debatable. dare say dry sanding and clean down with correct thinners, then good primer should be ok. Wet sanding one day and painting next probs is enough to allow corrosion
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 17 at 7:31am
When the steel corrodes it causes pressure, presumably from taking up oxygen, have a look what rebar does to concrete, no surprise it can cause damage to plastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>