FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South East Sailing Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
patitifa View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote patitifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South East Sailing Club
    Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 12:28pm
Hi guys,

I'm relocating to the south east.  Bewl Water is close by, but much rather sail on the sea.  Hastings/Eastbourne area, Rye or Seahaven at a push.

Any recommendations for a good club?  Looking at single handing, and prefer close racing.  Equally, I'd rather something a little more up to date than a laser - I'd rather not hike upwind so much!  80Kg chap.  Reasonable club level sailing/racing experience.

Two small children, so looking at getting them involved in few years time.

Where should I be looking, and what classes?

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 12:34pm
The big caveat with coastal clubs in that area is launching. Many of them are straight onto exposed beaches, shingle at higher tide states. Some folks don't mind, or even like it, I did it once and vowed never again!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 12:38pm
In terms of classes you are likely to be needing a second boat for the kids. Something like a Mirror is probably suitable for that aspect and you can get one in reasonable nick for about £300 or so.

In terms of something that requires less hiking than a Laser you are probably best to steer away from most of the usual suspects (D-Zero, Aero, Solo et all) as they all require hiking. Possibly something like a Blaze might be suitable as you can perch on the racks quite effectively if you dont feel like hiking. The other option is the trapeze route so RS600 or Contender (or Farr 3.7).

As for clubs I cannot help there, middle England pondie here!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 12:48pm
There used to be a good club scene at Hastings but you don't hear much these days, Bexhill? are they still going strong. Eastbourne has a Laser thing going on PRAT racing or did, don't hear much about them either.
There's a new effort to get dinghy racing going on at the Varne which is the only thing near(ish) to Rye

As for boats that you don't hike the Contender would be my advice if you are big enough, lots of Kent coastal clubs are getting them, or the Blaze, but they are very nosey in the sort of wave length we get on the south coast and you still hike them and not on the most comfortable of scaffold pole. If you are handy then an MPS can bring excitement to the party but you will inevitably trash something on the way in or out however good you are, the Contender is so much better suited to getting on and off the beach.

Then there's our place at Hythe which is a bit of a trek from Bewl if that is where you are based, we have had Bewl members but they tend to be living in the M20 corridor, we have a couple of Contenders a bunch of Lasers and other odds and sods, it's an OK club, the sailing bit, it can be a bit cliquey because we've opened pandoras box to all manner of sports, bikes, SUPs as well as wind and kitesurfers, but there is a good vibe as far as pulling together to get all the boats launched and recovered, plus we have some up to date race management stuff.

Edited by iGRF - 01 Nov 17 at 12:53pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 12:51pm
I found a club with a decent Cadet squad because the kids much prefer to go off and sail with other kids. I also purchased an old Laser 2 so we could sail together but this soon got too small and was quickly replaced with a RS400 which was fun to race with one of them as crew. Now they are growing up so I am back to sailing a singlehander and got a Hadron H2 - I used to race Lasers but am too heavy and the H2 was a great surprise and I love sailing again. 

As to clubs....I would sail at Bewl personally as its big enough!
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 1:06pm
What about the Medway? I gather Wilsonian is quite an active club.
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 1:41pm
I thought most people from Bewl moved to Bough Beech? I wouldnt join Bewl, I think it is near dead after the landlord troubles last year.

Whats your definition of close racing? In my opinion you dont get close racing on the sea, everything spreads out too much and only comes together at marks, pick a small lake if you want close racing. If you must have sea then Eastbourne and Bexhill are the best clubs to meet your needs.....
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 2:04pm
Eastbourne's worth a look. They have a very active Wed evening series, with up to 40 boats out this season I believe - mostly Lasers, racing on personal handicaps. A larger range of classes at the weekend - Lasers, Contenders, RS600s, Musto Skiffs and Moths for adult single handers.

Probably also worth checking out Pevensey Bay and Bexhill.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 2:07pm
Sail at Bough Beech

Sailing all year round

Laser and Solo classes plus handicap that ranges from Toppers to Trapeze boats.

Good standard and friendly.

Good turn outs and great kids sailing section

Best racing in the area

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 2:14pm
Or try Weir Wood SC. Lovely place, good racing and family oriented. 
www.wwsc.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>