FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South East Sailing Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South East Sailing Club
    Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 11:14am
I am biased but I would consider Chipstead Sailing Club, the kids sailing thing is every weekend (Bough Beech is once a month I believe), it is nearer the A21, its a smaller lake so plenty of close racing, you will get good class racing in a variety of classes. In your shoes I would join the 15-20 Solo's sailing every saturday and also get a Graduate to join the 10-15 of them sailing each sunday with the kids. Take a look at the results section on the website to get an idea of fleet sizes.
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 10:37pm
When you have your new boat, come and do the Icicle at Bough Beech which is a really well supported (100 entries +) handicap series in January and February. I'm sure you can get there quickly now the A21 Pembry bypass is open Then you will be all trained up and ready for your new sea club when their summer season opens... or you might just decide to stay at Bough Beech!
gary145 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote gary145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 9:52pm
sailing-at-eastbourne.co.uk
no reefs, no rocks, good racing any state of tide,
single handers inc- lasers, contenders, moths, musto skiffs, 600s, A class cats or when nothing else is out the dart16!
Pratt racing-Personal handicap wed evening series. 
Come and try...

patitifa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patitifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 9:24pm
iGRF nailed it - I'm on the A21! Been to the county a couple of times and the idiosyncrasies of the road network are clear.  I suspect I will be limited to that patch of coast.  I think Medway will sadly be too far.
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 8:45pm
It's a funny county Kent or Kent & E.Sussex, whilst at one end you can set from one end to the other in under an hour, yet West to East can take twice as long for the same distance, so depending where patititfa is going to live and by the sounds of it it's on the A21 as bad a road as ever there was, he'll be limited to that part of the coast and communications with that are pretty dire.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 8:38pm
Is Wilsonian close enough? They have a decent fleet of Blazes and seem like a nice bunch (see the Foxwells Youtube vids). It's an estuary not open sea but the sailing area is big enough....
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 6:59pm
I'll message you some finer details. I don't really want to put a warts 'n' all appraisal on a public forum.
patitifa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patitifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 6:04pm
Thanks Transient, good advice.

Apologies for typos- small children playing hide and seek in study.Trying to keep within an hour of home, which means between Rye and Seaford if it is to be the sea.

transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 5:47pm
Prevailing south westerlies produce some big dumps in that area. Those in the lee of beachy head seem better.

Take a day and visit them all between Eastbourne and Hastings, 4 in total. They are only 30 mins apart. Check out the dump at highish tide if there is a SWer. Also check out at low tide as there are exposed reefs at a couple of them.

Edited by transient - 01 Nov 17 at 5:58pm
patitifa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patitifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 5:36pm
Thanks for all the input.  I'm going to be nosing around over he next few weeks, see whats going on.  Look to get a new boat over the winter.  Interesting to see so many plugs for the Blaze -  hadn't really thought about it before, but I will have a closer look.  Hastings looks good for laser numbers, Eastbourne for handicap.  Cmmmmmmm.

birider - will have a look at Rye for sure.  Size is no indicator of quality......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>