FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racing rules primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing rules primer
    Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by snowleopard

I was also surprised to see frequent reference to 'right of way'. On another forum, any mention of that phrase gets flamed by pedants to whom that is sacrilege.

There is an extremely common confusion between right of way and entitlement to room - maybe that's what its about. A boat with mark room may not - and often does not - have right of way, but nevertheless a boat which does have right of way may still have to give room to another boat that is entitled to room.
Roughly speaking the part A rules define who has right of way, and the part B and part C rules give limits to what the right of way boat may do. So if someone starts talking about a boat with mark room getting right of way because it has mark room, then that misconception needs to be corrected.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 11:21pm

in rule 14 b you are allowed to hit other boats as long as you (a) have right of way and (b) don't cause damage or injury.

No. Again its an important distinction. Read the rule again, "shall be exonerated if she breaks this rule". You are never allowed to hit other boats, but if you have right of way and it doesn't cause damage then you don't get penalised. And the damage may be very very minor, it still counts. Other rules talk about serious damage, but not this one.

Edited by JimC - 01 Jan 18 at 11:21pm
Hitcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hitcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 11:24pm

I downloaded the 2017-20 rules and was surprised to find that in rule 14 b you are allowed to hit other boats as long as you (a) have right of way and (b) don't cause damage or injury.

Possibly technically incorrect? You still break the rule, however as long as there is no damage/injury you are exonerated. 
And having crashed a lot of boats, both gently and hard, with bumpers, fenders, all over padding, and none, I would advise that it is sometime hard to judge exactly how much damage will result. I have "walked away" from crashes I definitely thought would write off a boat, and also made a hole big enough to climb through that ended up in court.

...I hasten to add that I wasn't driving, we won the protests, etc, etc, never my fault, etc etc, had done everything we reasonably could have done to avoid the collision, etc.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 12:08am

Originally posted by Hitcher

Avoiding contact even when you think you are right is important. Unfortunately not everyone has got there yet...

I downloaded the 2017-20 rules and was surprised to find that in rule 14 b you are allowed to hit other boats as long as you (a) have right of way and (b) don't cause damage or injury.

Hang out a few fenders and go for it!!
Might get exonerated for breaking rule 14, but a boat that breaks a rule with the intention of gaining an advantage breaks rule 2 and should be DNE.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 12:16am

I was also surprised to see frequent reference to 'right of way'. On another forum, any mention of that phrase gets flamed by pedants to whom that is sacrilege.
The phrases 'right of way' and 'right-of-way boat' are used in the RRS in a defined sense:

Part 2 Section A Preamble:  A boat has right of way over another boat when the other boat is required to keep clear of her. However, some rules in Sections B, C and D limit the actions of a right-of-way boat.

The term 'right of way' is often deprecated in discussions about IRPCAS. because, it is said, no vessel under IRPCAS has a 'right' 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12