FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Development anything new going on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 8:49pm
One interesting development in the world of Sailability is the seeming move away from fast boats to simple boats, driven by the need to try and get back into the Olympics by actually having world wide coverage. The Hansa 303, which is pretty much the Laser of the Sailability world is growing in leaps and bounds.
I spend the day coaching "buddies" for the boats. Getting the most out of the boats takes a few tricks and a surprising amount of finesse.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
KazRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by JimC

The droopy boom on the D-one is a major turn off for me, I can't think of one reason why its a good idea. Just makes it look like all the 60s one designs that have sails that don't fit any more due to increased mast rake.

What about the oft quoted end plate effect of having the base of the sail close to the deck. Roll back 30yrs and the boards were always going on about it as I'm sure iGRF and others will testify
OK 2122 & 2148
mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 9:15pm
And leverage? And tilting the boom changes the effect of the kicker I'd guess.

Edited by mozzy - 25 Oct 17 at 9:19pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Originally posted by JimC

The droopy boom on the D-one is a major turn off for me, I can't think of one reason why its a good idea. Just makes it look like all the 60s one designs that have sails that don't fit any more due to increased mast rake.

What about the oft quoted end plate effect of having the base of the sail close to the deck. Roll back 30yrs and the boards were always going on about it as I'm sure iGRF and others will testify

Just to clarify it's the D0 we're talking about? I can't say the boom height was much of a problem as to end plate effect the boom doesn't go quite as far down as it can on a board or something like a Europe, or Contender, but the rig generally on the Zero is about the nicest set up I've ever seen on a dinghy the like of which we mess with.

There's definitely something faster about lower aspect sails per given area on displacement speed boats, wether it's the end plate thing, wether it's just the extra length of the sail chord and being low down being brought to bear, I don't know, but certainly the efficiency of that zero rig over that 9mtrs of sailbag that propels the Aero you can feel if you switch between them.

Edited by iGRF - 25 Oct 17 at 9:22pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by KazRob

What about the oft quoted end plate effect of having the base of the sail close to the deck.

To get a significant end plate effect you need the sail touching the deck all the way along, and probably most especially at the leading edge, which was what the boards did. For example there was a big gain in dinghies in the 60s when jibs moved down the forestay from 6 inches above the deck to touching.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The 'central toestrap' has been mentioned a couple of times here and if there was any one thing that discriminates against the 'short of stature' it's that abonomation. It makes it impossible for me to find a comfortable or efficient 'sitting out' position in a L@ser and puts me at a permanent disadvantage..... It's like selling bicycles with non adjustable seats  Angry

I think you'l find it discriminates against anyone outside of the normal. At the other of the spectrum it is just as bad!
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 10:29pm
What do you think makes more, hull width or toe strap width?

The danger if you allow people to move their toe straps out, everyone will do just that and just have less leg supported by the hull. It might not be the best thing for everyone knees. 
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 17 at 12:40am
Originally posted by 2547

. then again BetaMax was the superior format but VHS prevailed ...

There's lots about that in the fascinating book "The Economics of QWERTY" that claims that BetaMax wasn't actually the superior format for most users. For example, VHS had bigger cassettes which meant longer recording time so US viewers could record an entire football game at a time when conemporary BetaMax machines couldn't, and for most users that was more important than machine size or superior vision.

The relevance of the book is that it shows that many of the claims of path dependance in which we get locked into inferior standards are simply myths. IMHO that applies to the popular sailing classes, where some people deride the more popular boats or types of boats because of their supposed technical flaws and miss the fact that the most popular classes achieve that status because they simply work better for most people.

As some have said, the whole "foiling is the future" rubbish seems to fall into that sort of category. Okay, foilers are the 'superior format' if you're interested in going really fast on a boat, but they aren't a superior format for most people to enjoy their sport. 

Edited by Chris 249 - 26 Oct 17 at 1:32am
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 17 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

Hamish,... one of our NZ Farr 3.7 sailors is doing some interesting stuff in the R-Class:

Ahh, the Rs - poster child for the pitfalls of chasing development. Even before their home town suffered from an earthquake they were down to about 9 boats at their national titles and the number dropped when they started foiling. Considering there were once about 400 registered boats and they arguably led the entire dinghy design world at times, it's a very sad tale.

Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 17 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The 'central toestrap' has been mentioned a couple of times here and if there was any one thing that discriminates against the 'short of stature' it's that abonomation. It makes it impossible for me to find a comfortable or efficient 'sitting out' position in a L@ser and puts me at a permanent disadvantage..... It's like selling bicycles with non adjustable seats  Angry

How tall are you? I'm 5'7" with a medium-length trunk and short legs and it doesn't seem worse than most other boats.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>