FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Development anything new going on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by mozzy

The RS Aero basically is just more ergonomic than a laser.  
Without wanting to get into an argument over this I found the Aero very uncomfortable to sail. Floor was too high for my long legs meaning non hiking meant my knees felt like they were up under my chin and made it a strange experience to tack.

I've never sail the boats. I'm just regurgitating how it's been described. 

This is an interesting point development wise. In a boat with high free board or that you stand 'on' then a high self draining cockpit is ideal. 

How does the d-zero maintain a self draining cockpit and have depth to accommodate your legs, and have a low boom / low freeboard? 

The sails look very similar to me (except cloth). They have the same panel cut etc. The most obvious difference is d-zero has a lower boom.  In a central toe strap dinghy you need all the leverage you can get so a high boom looks at odds. 
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by 2547

Originally posted by turnturtle

I can't help but admire the progress of the RS Aero over the past year or two, but other than a bit of RS forum flaming, is there really too much to discuss?  

The Aero seems to have shifted a lot of units but then RS have a good network. 

Can't help think that the rig still looks dated on a new product ... D Zero just looks a nicer package ... then again BetaMax was the superior format but VHS prevailed ...

that's the best analogy and it's been kicking around from the outset....  at the end of the day, you can buy an Aero from a dealer more or less anywhere in the civilised world, plus they have supply chain for spare parts to keep it serviced and repaired as required.  

I do also completely agree about the dacron sail, but that's probably a generation thing growing up in the 90's.... aspiring to plastic sails might be bit passť now.  

To paraphrase Steve Cockerill (badly).... you can always find a 'better boat', but that doesn't necessarily make it a better boat for you.  

Edited by turnturtle - 25 Oct 17 at 4:16pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 4:26pm
The droopy boom on the D-one is a major turn off for me, I can't think of one reason why its a good idea. Just makes it look like all the 60s one designs that have sails that don't fit any more due to increased mast rake.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by mozzy

]How does the d-zero maintain a self draining cockpit ]

It has an incredibly 'deal breaking for me' annoying self baler thing that juts below the hull just ready to graunch up the beach and break off.
H2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 5:21pm
Some interesting foiling Albacore's in our parts
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 5:55pm
Hamish,... one of our NZ Farr 3.7 sailors is doing some interesting stuff in the R-Class:

getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by H2

Some interesting foiling Albacore's in our parts

there's two words I never expected to hear in the same sentence, "interesting" and "Albacore" Wink

... seriously, are we talking N12 foils like T-foil rudder and trim-tab on c'board or are we talking rising into the skies ala Mothy fantasy land stuff?
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 6:08pm
then again BetaMax was the superior format but VHS prevailed .

Exactly .... But the Aero is a lot more than the 'VHS' here.  It is technically superior on several measures if maybe not all.  Neither are for me anyway but I've raced both and both are good boats - and both are naturally better than the Laser.  To be fair the Laser was the winner a few decades ago for exactly the same reason the Aero is the very obvious leader now.  Its has wider appeal and target market.  This is the key and this is critical ... coupled to the fact it is simply a great(er) commercial product / proposition.  

So - one may have an enthsuastic take up and cult following sure but the other (Aero) has this as well plus really could become a new industry 'standard' in the next decade.   
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 7:31pm
The 'central toestrap' has been mentioned a couple of times here and if there was any one thing that discriminates against the 'short of stature' it's that abonomation. It makes it impossible for me to find a comfortable or efficient 'sitting out' position in a L@ser and puts me at a permanent disadvantage..... It's like selling bicycles with non adjustable seats  Angry
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
pompeysailor View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote pompeysailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 7:37pm
I overheard at the Southampton boat show that the Hartley Contender might be around by end of Nov / Early Dec
Formerly - OK 2145 Phantom 1437, Blaze 819, Fireball 14668, Mirror 54145
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>