FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy singlehander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
snowleopard View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy singlehander
    Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 10:10am
After 20 years sailing offshore I'm now looking to get back into dinghies and want a singlehander. 
  • I'm 6'4" and 18 stone so need a powerful boat
  • I'm nearly 70 so no longer flexible. I've had several Lasers in the past but don't think I'm up to ducking under a low boom any more, nor do my knees take to dish-shaped hulls, I need a footwell.
  • I am fairly fit so I don't mind hiking a big rig. 
  • I need to plane.
  • I tried an Int Canoe for a couple of years but I could barely handle it in my 30s. Likewise trapezing is out!
  • Despite my signature, a cat is probably not a good idea on a small lake.
  • I'll be sailing mostly on a smallish lake with occasional forays onto salt water.
  • I love unstayed rotating rigs (which I also have on my 40-footer) but stays are not a deal-breaker.
  • I want to pay in the hundreds, not thousands.
  • I mostly sail for fun with the occasional race so cutting-edge performance isn't necessary.
  • I don't have the time to maintain a wooden boat.
The most likely candidate for now looks like the Phantom but I've only read about them and never seen one in the flesh. A Finn looks good but I don't fancy lugging 300kg* up a ramp and there's the low boom problem again.

* see correction below

Edited by snowleopard - 02 Oct 17 at 2:36pm
One hull good, two hulls better.
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 10:41am
Phantom - no brainer.  Hook up with the guys on the Phantom Class website forum or Phantom Class page on Facebook... someone will give you a test ride for sure.  They are really nice blokes.
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 12:24pm
If you want a powerful boat you will be quite capable of pulling a Finn up a slip, unless you are far too unfit to sail the boat! Much bigger people than you manage to get under the boom quite happily, when you ease the sheet to tack the boom comes up 18" and there's more room under than many other boats. Finns are very long lasting and classic Finns are welcomed at all events and are well within your budget.
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564
SHSC
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 1:43pm
Having just bought a classic Finn myself I agree with Peter. I find my Finn vey well balanced on its trolley and as long as the tyres are pumped up I don't have a problem moving it around but have not tried a steep slipway yet. I was looking for about a year or so before I bought one, But I did not see many older fibreglass Finns come up for sale if any for under a 1000. Wooden ones do come up under a grand. The one I bought need a bit of the varnish touched up and she is ready to sail. I have been told wooden Finns and not a labour intensive as other wooden boats as they were build so well. But only buying it last month I cant be sure if that is true or not.
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 2:35pm
Thanks for that. Somehow my research on Google yesterday had given me a weight of 300kg. I now see the correct figure is 107, a much more manageable load. That of course raises a rather more difficult question - where do I find a cheap one!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by PeterV

when you ease the sheet to tack the boom comes up 18"

How does that work? Is there a kicker to release? ISTR that the OK used a wedge through the mast that held the boom down, what do they do on the Finn?

OK, strike that. Done some searches and found info on kicker systems - presumably you need to let the kicker go on a beat so the mast bend pulls the boom up when tacking.

Edited by snowleopard - 02 Oct 17 at 3:08pm
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 3:13pm
The Finn has a very powerful kicker and a very flexible mast They do recommend letting the kicker off before you gybe to raise the boom and letting the main off before a tack will raise the boom. But as stated I am still waiting to sail my new (to me) Finn and It was a good 25 years since I last set foot in a Finn I am hoping its a bit like riding a bike it all comes back to me. I used to look on Apollo duck the CVRDA website forum and of course Ebay. The British Finn association has a for sale part but it normally more modern boats on there but worth keeping a eye on.

Edited by bicrider - 02 Oct 17 at 3:17pm
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 4:00pm
Nooooo don't do it, Finns are the worse heavy old tub with a big chunk of redundant metal stuck in the middle with no foil shape to it whatsoever (Which does kind of prove the negative Bernouilli thing)

Check a Phantom out, light roomy, super easy to sail, big old rig, that Finn sail is probably two thirds the size.

Finns, they should be under the ocean not littering it..

Edited by iGRF - 02 Oct 17 at 4:01pm
KazRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 4:18pm
Don't listen to the little people - go for the Finn. It's a beautiful boat to sail but a bit heavier than your revised weight at around 133kg but that weight does work like a flywheel to help you punch through waves etc. Don't worry about space under the boom - you sail upwind with no kicker on and all the leech tension is done via the mainsheet. Once you pop that to go through a tack you have more room than most boats (same for the OK and Europe too tbh).
You'll have a lot of fun in one

Edited by KazRob - 02 Oct 17 at 4:18pm
OK 2122 & 2148

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by iGRF

big old rig, that Finn sail is probably two thirds the size. 

A bit unfair...

Finn 10.6 sq m
Phantom 9.75 sq m

Next question, which is more likely to give me a swim? In my laser days I only ever capsized through losing my grip on the sheet and being dumped to windward.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>