FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy singlehander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 12:24pm
If you want a powerful boat you will be quite capable of pulling a Finn up a slip, unless you are far too unfit to sail the boat! Much bigger people than you manage to get under the boom quite happily, when you ease the sheet to tack the boom comes up 18" and there's more room under than many other boats. Finns are very long lasting and classic Finns are welcomed at all events and are well within your budget.
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564
SHSC
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 10:41am
Phantom - no brainer.  Hook up with the guys on the Phantom Class website forum or Phantom Class page on Facebook... someone will give you a test ride for sure.  They are really nice blokes.
snowleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 10:10am
After 20 years sailing offshore I'm now looking to get back into dinghies and want a singlehander. 
  • I'm 6'4" and 18 stone so need a powerful boat
  • I'm nearly 70 so no longer flexible. I've had several Lasers in the past but don't think I'm up to ducking under a low boom any more, nor do my knees take to dish-shaped hulls, I need a footwell.
  • I am fairly fit so I don't mind hiking a big rig. 
  • I need to plane.
  • I tried an Int Canoe for a couple of years but I could barely handle it in my 30s. Likewise trapezing is out!
  • Despite my signature, a cat is probably not a good idea on a small lake.
  • I'll be sailing mostly on a smallish lake with occasional forays onto salt water.
  • I love unstayed rotating rigs (which I also have on my 40-footer) but stays are not a deal-breaker.
  • I want to pay in the hundreds, not thousands.
  • I mostly sail for fun with the occasional race so cutting-edge performance isn't necessary.
  • I don't have the time to maintain a wooden boat.
The most likely candidate for now looks like the Phantom but I've only read about them and never seen one in the flesh. A Finn looks good but I don't fancy lugging 300kg* up a ramp and there's the low boom problem again.

* see correction below

Edited by snowleopard - 02 Oct 17 at 2:36pm
One hull good, two hulls better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123