FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rules Observance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules Observance
    Posted: Yesterday at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Rupert

So, in windsurfing they had to scrap certain rules because everyone was cheating, yet you feel you have the moral high ground?

No, we took a pragmatic view about certain rules, notably hitting marks and pumping, the first because it really doesn't matter if you touch a mark as long as you leave it the correct side and the second because, as is still the case with dinghy sailing, rule 42 is unenforceable fair and evenly without a referee or jury boat on the water.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:15pm
When RO I once made the mistake of not finishing someone who left a mark to the wrong side ... my thinking was that he had not sailed the course; it was made quite clear to me that the RO only has the powers to disqualify someone without protest for starting infringements.

I have also seen monumental cockups caused by helpful safety boat crews, by proffering well meaning advice ref. courses, but not to everyone, which has resulted in races being lobbed.  

When I am RO I instruct safety boat drivers not to verbally communicate with racing boats (except in an emergency).

I donít think any of this is detrimental to how the sport is perceived, better to apply the rules even handedly to all competitors.

The correct procedure would be for the RO to protest the offender, in reality I doubt if ROís would protest in a club race situation unless the miscreant did some really blatant cheating.

There is nothing to stop competitors sportingly telling others when they have sailed the incorrect course, this is by no means unusual at our club.  

Unlike my usual cynical grumpiness, this response is really to protect volunteer ROs getting themselves into a mess by not following procedure, which might also result in perfectly good races being binned.  Donít learn the hard way.
Somewhere between lies and truth lies the truth
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:01pm
I suppose it depends on the context, at the club I'd say it's fine, open meetings and up, not so much...
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:32pm
The RC is entitled to protest a boat it observes breaking a rule, but a sort of sub protest action come ad hoc semi umpiring feels a bit like a form of outside assistance unless there's something in the SIs, and I'm not all that comfortable with it.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:29pm
Sounds fine to me,  if he's sending a boat over to inform newbs of the rules or to help tackle persistent offenders then why not. The guys at the front should know better and should police themselves. See them misbehaving and a protest should ensue.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
Noah View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:11pm
Sailing is a self-policing sport, unless jury boats are called for in the NoR / SI's. (And even then they're limited in what they can adjudicate on, aren't they?) 
When you see an incident, how far away from it are you? Are you sure you have seen everything? Brass's point, I think, is that 'sending a boat over' is inequitable to others where you haven't seen a potential infringement.

Edited by Noah - Yesterday at 4:11pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:58pm
Hmmm, and we wonder why sailing is in decline, rather than a reasonable articulate discussion about why you think I am wrong, you paraphrase Brass, where is your debate, please convince I am wrong.
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:40pm
IMHO, Brass's sarcasm is entirely appropriate ;-)
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:15pm
Brass, sarcasm is uncalled for, if you have the manpower to referee a race where's the issue?
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 423zero

When I am OOD if I see something I send boat over if they don't do their turns or they miss a mark
So you personally don't think sailing should be a self-policing game?

How do you ensure that every boat that breaks a rule gets the benefit of your invaluable advice?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>