FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend a material to cover a trolley cradle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend a material to cover a trolley cradle
    Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 10:27am
The new boat has a decent grp cradle on the trolley, but it could do with re-covering.

Any recommendations on what to cover it with?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 10:31am
Artificial grass. Widely available eg B&Q. Doesn't hold water, unlike carpet. Having wet carpet against the skin long term can cause problems.
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 10:47am
Great idea, and makes it easy for people to find the trolley on the shore too!
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 11:13am
+1 on the Astro Turf, I've done a couple of cradles with it.
The only downside is on a shingle beach the bristle holds small aggregate. A good shake out in the water gets rid of it easy enough, while you're holding your boat at the same time!
The synthetic grass types are a bit soft, I use the door mats, Robert Dyas used to sell them but here they are:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282576854435
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 11:38am
I recovered my GRP trolley cradles last winter with an astroturf type product. BUT - be aware it comes in many forms and I didn't consider myself competent to select the right one (even after getting some samples), so I bought some of the product that Welsh Harp use on their Sovereign brand products. Not cheap, but it does do the job very nicely. I used a shed load of impact adhesive (solvent based, not the water-based rubbish) to glue it on though.

Edited by Noah - 15 Sep 17 at 11:39am
Nick
D-Zero 316

NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 2:31pm
+1 for astroturf. A lot of new trollies now being sold with it.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 2:42pm
For adhesive this stuff is brilliant for the job:
https://www.bestatflooring.co.uk/accessories/f-ball-co-accessories/f81-epoxy-flooring-adhesive/

Left over from a job, I didn't go out & buy it! 
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 6:35pm
B&Q and a lot of other places seem to be flogging a softer artificial grass these days, which I fear will flatten against the hull and hold water like carpet does?
The old-style harsh stuff doesn't flatten much and drains freely.
It also lets sand fall through.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 7:54pm
Doormats from Ikea.
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 17 at 8:08pm
artificial grass is the way to go, B&Q sell various grades, you can but it buy the metre, I have also seen it recently in homebase and the local wyevale garden centre, glue it on with a decent contact adhesive

Post Reply Post Reply