FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the role of a Class Association Website?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
pondlife1736 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondlife1736 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 3:25pm
Yes, always amazes me how many people click the Facebook like button not realising what it does!
A2Z View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Originally posted by 423zero

Most Government employees not supposed to have Facebook accounts, Police, Teachers etc, not just personal preferences.

That might have been the case but it is no longer so. Clearly such people have to be more careful who they 'friend' and what they post but they are, in the main, not prohibited from being active on social media.
Is this informed fact or opinion? I only ask because I was told just 3 years back not to have a FB account, and it's the reason I don't use my name here.
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by A2Z

Originally posted by 423zero

Most Government employees not supposed to have Facebook accounts, Police, Teachers etc, not just personal preferences.

Is this informed fact or opinion?

It will vary. I'm quite sure there isn't one single global policy across every public sector organisation in the country. You need to check your own employer's policies and rules.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 5:37pm
A2Z, if you were told 3 years ago not to have a Facebook account, this is unlikely to have changed.
jimc correct, check your senior, don't risk your job on opinion.
KazRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 7:30pm
I don't work in the private sector so can't comment directly but the GOV.UK website has this advice for civil servants (my underlining)
As civil servants we are (of course) free to use social and other digital media in our own time. But we always need to be mindful of our duties not to disclose official information without authority, and not to take part in any political or other public activity which compromises, or might be seen to compromise, our impartial service to the government of the day or any future government 
(from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-media-guidance-for-civil-servants/social-media-guidance-for-civil-servants)

Perhaps it's like Health and Safety where things get over interpreted by those that don't quite know the score - and no you don't need to go on a training course to use a ladder

OK 2122 & 2148
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 8:41pm
I know at least one police officer and several teachers with Facebook accounts. I will ask them if they have been told not to have an account and ignore the 'request' or have simply been advised to be careful how they use it.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I know at least one police officer and several teachers with Facebook accounts. I will ask them if they have been told not to have an account and ignore the 'request' or have simply been advised to be careful how they use it.

There's advice on safe settings and usage within BritMil, but no ban at all.
Finn GBR88 Gruffalo, Finn GBR98 Doris, Europe 185
Cameron Tweedle Sailing (Facebook) sponsors; Maylarch Dash-CAE RAFBF
Gfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 8:47pm
The National 12s have a Class Association website, FB Page, Instagram and twitter. The latter certainly appeal to some of the younger helms and crews. People love to reminiscence also, with "throwback Thursday" posts and the like.

The website has a discussion board and boat database, with oodles of history about the class from 1936 to 2017. The social media is more light hearted. Over 5,000 people viewed one of the facebook posts on the class page. Imagine if we could turn that into boats on the water!

3513 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror
NickM99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 10:04pm
Probably the ideal difference between Class Association websites and FB is the first should be "substantive" and the second "ephemeral."

Going off topic a bit, this distinction also applies to Sailing Club sites. I am amazed how may Club sites have evidently not been touched for years - with "news" still talking about the BBQ in 2015. It makes you wonder how active the Club is - and may give a totally false impression. A lot of older sailors are not going to be on FB and will not look for signs of club life elsewhere. The RYA recommends maximum use of social media by Clubs but the starting point has to be the website.

Thanks for your long post TT. Thought provoking!

Edited by NickM99 - 14 Sep 17 at 10:05pm
iiiiticki View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by KazRob

At the risk of heading into political territory are public sector workers really 'not supposed' to have social media accounts? Sounds a bit draconian and excessive interference in private life. I can understand the need for certain jobs like teachers needing more consideration of what is posted, what people are 'friended' etc to protect themselves and their professional reputation but surely they can't be stopped from having what is a fairly common means of communicating with friends and family?

Friends of mine in public service or sensitive occupations find ways of altering their names to make them invisible on Facebook but we all know who they are!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>