FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the role of a Class Association Website?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
KazRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 9:04pm
TBH I know many don't have FB, refuse to have FB or like FB but in some areas its reminiscent of when email started to be widespread but a significant portion of people still wanted physical class newsletters to be sent.  Anyway for me both the website and FB are essential to any class/club etc
OK 2122 & 2148
JohnJack View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by craiggo

For once I agree with iGRF.

The Grad association has had a difficult time lately with their web hosting and as a result their website has not been available to people using certain web providers. The number of people who are trying to get information along the lines of how to join the association or tuning guides, fitting out etc. Is suprisingly high and these individuals tend to be pretty disgruntled by the time they engage in chat on Facebook.

Facebook provides the ability to discuss these points but it seems that many still want the official repository to be a website.

Small classes especially can't afford to ditch websites yet it seems.

The problem with the Grads is they have ended up in a situation where the host they are paying isn't providing the service they are paying for (anyone on Sky Broadband is blocked from the front pages, but can access pdf's fine given the full path to the doc) and if they move they don't seem to have ownership of the URL. What is aggravating people is the way the class is handling anyone who contacts them querying the issue or asking why the website isn't working. They seem to think it is the users fault or because they can't see the issue, it doesn't exist.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 9:49pm
Most Government employees not supposed to have Facebook accounts, Police, Teachers etc, not just personal preferences.
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 11:26pm
So far everyone has missed the #1 essential, which is finding some BF who has the time and interest to manage a CA (or club for that matter) website in return for zero money and a bunch of abuse !    I'd rather put pins in my eyes than run a class/club website. 
KazRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 6:55am
At the risk of heading into political territory are public sector workers really 'not supposed' to have social media accounts? Sounds a bit draconian and excessive interference in private life. I can understand the need for certain jobs like teachers needing more consideration of what is posted, what people are 'friended' etc to protect themselves and their professional reputation but surely they can't be stopped from having what is a fairly common means of communicating with friends and family?
OK 2122 & 2148
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 7:49am
In the sector I'm in, we're not allowed to discuss operational issues on a public forum, but we have no restriction on having a non-work related virtual life.

Work IT equipment is locked down so we can't use it from work.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 9:51am
Originally posted by 423zero

Most Government employees not supposed to have Facebook accounts, Police, Teachers etc, not just personal preferences.

That might have been the case but it is no longer so. Clearly such people have to be more careful who they 'friend' and what they post but they are, in the main, not prohibited from being active on social media.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 11:41am

What has happened to date will all be fairly irrelevant soon anyway- consigned to the annals of communication history.  Internet 4.0 is set to become the ambient internet, ‘smart devices’ will just become devices as life becomes a series of IP addresses running in the background.  The lines between online and offline blur- a digital economy that is just the economy.  Alexa and Siri are just in their infancy, and none of us are naive enough to think these won’t play a larger role in our lives in the future, even if we are willing to take the accusations of ludditism on the chin with a wry smile.

The tracking device in your pocket that you occasionally make voice calls on, is already relaying your position through a myriad of mediums- google maps, Facebook, Twitter, Apple Health, location based searches, restaurant check-ins etc.  We have become the ultimate consumer and we’ve done it willingly, upgrading each year from the Nokia 3210 to the form factor and operating system you are now locked into.  Even your heart rate can be tracked to see what advertorial content gives you a physical reaction.  You are now the android and there’s no irony lost there.   

In a fully connected society the information you consume will be personalised.  You may kid yourself you own these preferences, but in reality it will be as it has always been, news spoon-fed on the agendas of a powerful elite and the emerging global corporations they shelter behind- ultimately selling you the sh*t you think you need to survive and thrive in the world we live in.  This will be interspersed with lighter grade information - stuff class associations and the local cycling group might share; but you won’t see it, not unless the various newsfeeds allow it.  Peer-to-Peer protocols will probably be the way to ensure a message is actually delivered - so I'd say WhatsApp groups are the next big thing for class associations, but these have their issues too.

I joked on Facebook only the other day that the cost of the new Apple X iPhone is greater than that of a club grade Laser… yet here we are, still bullsh*tting ourselves on this quaint little internet forum that ‘cost’ is still a bona fide barrier to dinghy sailing.  Clearly not, it’s just 21st century priorities and the general preference for a digitised leisure and social life of younger and future generations are coming to fruition.  I mean seriously, why go and get cold and wet in plastic tub on a puddle in nowheresville when you can sit in your local corp-tax avoiding Starbucks, consuming a toxic cocktail of not-so free wifi, cute dog-eared selfies and an impending sense that you’re just not good enough to get even ’10 likes’ off the people your phone has suggested are your friends?

Digital interfaces in taxis, metro stations, at the ‘pump’ where you charge your car and even the post office will display adverts and newsfeeds from your personal, local, national and global interest spheres.  Class Associations will have to hook into this to continue to compete for our attention - which will be difficult as even the RSs and Lasers of our world are such small players (and spenders)  in such a fast moving and over-saturated environment.  It won’t be long before class events are fully digitised into our lives- ubiquitous for all ‘class members’ whether they want it or not.  Even now many of us might upload the class CalDAV or equivalent into our online scheduling apps.  Those of us who have been at the coalface on class or club web presence have already willingly added events to the class Facebook page, then sit back and hope to hell more click ‘going’ or at least ‘interested, rather than ‘not going’.  In doing so creating the cliques which sometimes hold back ‘real’ class development.  As with so many things online, we still have an 80:20 rule on participants and lurkers… and it’s the lurkers you need to attract to give the event the critical mass.

Some people wonder why I have such a dislike for GPS race tracking of amateur sailboat racing.  I can see the appeal for race analysis, I can understand the benefit for checking the results were accurate.  I can also see why the data source could be useful for generic discussions around handicapping boats.  However I also see sailing (and water sports in general), as one of the last bastions of non-digitised sport and leisure.   Sure, the marketing and administration of it cannot avoid future technology, and class associations will have to be adept in this market place with these technologies.  But the activity itself, at amateur level, provides something more natural and clean, and its rapidly losing that soul and sense of freedom and disconnection that some of us treasure so much.  A different discussion for sure….

Edited by turnturtle - 14 Sep 17 at 1:27pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 12:23pm
Hmm clearly TT isn't an attention seeking psychopath like most racers..
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 2:57pm
Ah .. it all makes 'going off-grid' even more attractive. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>