FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a future for the Solution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a future for the Solution?
    Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 7:36am
Originally posted by davidyacht

To be fair to Keith, despite my comments I also demoed the H2 at Salcombe, I really liked it, and if fleet racing and trips to Garda were not available with the Solo, I would probably order an H2.  

My comment was really directed at having done many demos over the years on both sides of the coin, often the demo is to satisfy a curiosity and the reward for effort is often not too high.

I really like how Keith is marketing the H2 and it seems to be maintaining momentum, but I think he is puting in a huge effort.

I think that for many people you have hit upon the key issue. You are left with a choice of sailing a boat like a solo that has a strong following at club and global level for which your body shape is a compromise or else accept that you will be sailing in handicap races in a boat that you are comfortable sailing and that was designed for your size and I think this is where the Solution and H2 find themselves. I agree they are a niche product at the moment but for me I would rather have a boat I loved to sail because it fits me and I am not worried about being 95kg and hence too heavy even if that means depreciation when (if) I come to sell. I get one life and in the greater scheme of things I would rather sail a boat that I love rather than a boat that lots of skinny old men love (I am trying to be funny.....)
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 9:18am
Peaky  et al ....

We'll see if we can get a few Blazes along on 21st October as well .... most will be happy enough to let others 'have a go' if conditons are reasonable.   The boat caters from 'GRF light' to 'the full Phantom' in terms of crew weight ... and has had champions both below 70kg and over 95kg in the past.   Now we have additonal sail options this is opening  up the class even more.   Hopefully CU there ....

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 10:19am
Originally posted by H2

I get one life and in the greater scheme of things I would rather sail a boat that I love rather than a boat that lots of skinny old men love (I am trying to be funny.....)

Fact and why I chose the Solution over all of them, it's light, but no so light it will blow away, it's manoeuvrable in confined water, will quite literally tack on a dime so enables use of every shift, it's speed is close to the Laser, faster sometimes slower others so you have to race them hard, has retracting foils, so doesn't matter too much if you run aground, has a healthy beam at it's widest point so you can go back and out to handle big puffs, you can rake the rig upwind and let go the shrouds downwind to sail by the lee, all in all pretty much everything you need except carbon for close quarter inland sailing. As much as I like the Hadron, I think it's way too big for me, but I'd love to put it to the test, reckon if anyone can make it go in light weather it would be moi.
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 10:35am
Originally posted by iGRF

reckon if anyone can make it go in light weather it would be moi.

That's a hell of a claim!! 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 10:46am
No, I'M the person who could make it go in light winds!

Not seen Life of Brian in ages.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

Peaky  et al ....We'll see if we can get a few Blazes along on 21st October as well .... most will be happy enough to let others 'have a go' if conditons are reasonable. Hopefully CU there ....

That would be great, bring along the Burgfield contingent too! Hope to catch up with soon then.
Papa Smurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 17 at 8:34am
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by H2

I get one life and in the greater scheme of things I would rather sail a boat that I love rather than a boat that lots of skinny old men love (I am trying to be funny.....)

Fact and why I chose the Solution over all of them, it's light, but no so light it will blow away, it's manoeuvrable in confined water, will quite literally tack on a dime so enables use of every shift, it's speed is close to the Laser, faster sometimes slower others so you have to race them hard, has retracting foils, so doesn't matter too much if you run aground, has a healthy beam at it's widest point so you can go back and out to handle big puffs, you can rake the rig upwind and let go the shrouds downwind to sail by the lee, all in all pretty much everything you need except carbon for close quarter inland sailing. As much as I like the Hadron, I think it's way too big for me, but I'd love to put it to the test, reckon if anyone can make it go in light weather it would be moi.

This was why I decided to go for the Solution. I enjoy sailing the boat. It restricts me to handicap sailing which is a shame, but it's too good a boat to miss
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 17 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Rupert

but i'm Sparticus
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 12:50am
Originally posted by fab100

Originally posted by Rupert

but i'm Sparticus
Here we go ...
Happily living in the past
iiiiticki View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 9:22am
Oddly enough a friend has just bought a Solution. First sail today. We will see how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>