FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a future for the Solution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a future for the Solution?
    Posted: 20 Sep 17 at 6:59pm
Sounds like half the members from my club  LOL
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 8:57am
Originally posted by iGRF

But here's a thing, wouldn't it be good if the manufacturer of the H2 and the manufacturer of the Solution and the Phantom and Maybe the D0 all got together, hired one team and a trailor travelling around the clubs letting them try the various boats and taking orders on the spot with sailors doing what sailors do, making their own purchasing decision.

Probably not ... chances of the right conditions coinciding with free time of the potential punters who might have £7k+ of disposable income seems quite unlikely.

Happily living in the past
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 9:27am
Originally posted by davidyacht

But here's a thing, wouldn't it be good if the manufacturer of the H2 and the manufacturer of the Solution and the Phantom and Maybe the D0 all got together, hired one team and a trailor travelling around the clubs letting them try the various boats and taking orders on the spot with sailors doing what sailors do, making their own purchasing decision.

Probably not ... chances of the right conditions coinciding with free time of the potential punters who might have £7k+ of disposable income seems quite unlikely.

Our club invited Keith C to bring the Hadron over for a test sail and about ten people showed up to take it for a spin. Some people also offered to make their solo's and Vareo's available to people for back-to-back tests which helped me make my mind up as I was clearly too big for both. Following this two people bought H2s and a third is selling his kidneys to buy one. My point is that you can invite the boats your missing and ask people to make their boats available for back-to-back tests if you want (assuming you are part of a friendly club)?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 10:02am
Originally posted by davidyacht

We had demos of both the D-Zero and the H2 at Hunts. We had people turn up for both from other local clubs. Of those who tried the boats from Hunts only I bought in initially. Keith was kind enough to let me have a play in the H2 (and he and Simon tried a D-Zero).

Demo days are great at getting the boat visible and the CA can play a big part in helping with them. The D-Zero class has a network of willing boat owners who can offer demos so you can get one at any time somewhere close to you. I have done several myself and I know people have bought in (and joined the club too).

So it can work but it does rely on the goodwill of boat owners to support the manufacturer/builder/distributor....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 10:32am
Demo boats are a great idea,  particularly when you can test and compare to other similar classes.

Last year's GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series saw over 1,000 competitors from 278 sailing clubs taking part in 89 different racing classes.  With several classes and builders using the Series for demo sails.

This year we are going to promote this more,  with a dedicated page highlighting what classes are available and at which events.  Already a few have signed up,  please PM me if you want your class involved,  Solutions most welcome.  

Edited by Simon Lovesey - 21 Sep 17 at 10:41am
www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 12:58pm
If I can get a shameless plug in...

Chew Valley Lake SC are hosting a singlehanded open on 21st October (Trafalgar Day, in memory of our greatest ever singlehanded sailor). There will be H2, Phantoms, D0 and many more besides, in what I hope will be something of a FOM atmosphere. If you bring your Solution, Graeme, I promise to swap for a race if you want.

For anyone interested in joining in, PM me for details.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Peaky

Chew Valley Lake SC are hosting a singlehanded open on 21st October (Trafalgar Day, in memory of our greatest ever singlehanded sailor). There will be H2, Phantoms, D0 and many more besides, in what I hope will be something of a FOM atmosphere. If you bring your Solution, Graeme, I promise to swap for a race if you want.

Planning to be at this with my H2!
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Peaky

Planning to be at this with my H2!

Excellent as I really want to have a look at one. I'm almost certainly too fat for one but I like the look.

Everything I say is my opinion, honest
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 8:55pm
To be fair to Keith, despite my comments I also demoed the H2 at Salcombe, I really liked it, and if fleet racing and trips to Garda were not available with the Solo, I would probably order an H2.  

My comment was really directed at having done many demos over the years on both sides of the coin, often the demo is to satisfy a curiosity and the reward for effort is often not too high.

I really like how Keith is marketing the H2 and it seems to be maintaining momentum, but I think he is puting in a huge effort.
Happily living in the past
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 10:17pm
I really like the look of the H2 but wouldn't buy one for all the reasons that DavidY points out - and compared to e.g. a new Solo, the depreciation would be eye-watering.

I wonder if anybody has thought of forming a syndicate to buy a boat like this as a second boat for fun racing. The trouble is that everybody in the syndicate would probably want to sail it at the3 same time.

Sorry - this should be on the H2 thread!

Edited by NickM99 - 21 Sep 17 at 10:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>