FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Streaker v Solo V Lightning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streaker v Solo V Lightning
    Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 12:06pm
I don't think 75kg is a problem in a Solo, particularly inland.  80-85kg is optimal at Championships.  No experience of the Streaker or Lightning.  But the Solo is very established and the post 4300 FRP boats are very sorted.  
Happily living in the past
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 12:29pm
You can get a Solo with a more flexible rig - 75kg would be fine

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by rich96

You can get a Solo with a more flexible rig - 75kg would be fine

What he said. There is a chap at my local club who is probably your weight or less and has a very flexible mast and the correct sail to go with it.

I borrowed his boat, I enjoyed it but was definitely needing a stiffer rig.

I was also surprised at how nice a sail it was.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 6:54pm
The Lightning fleet is smaller than the Streaker, but the circuit is very friendly, with plenty of fun to be had. Second-hand Giles built boats are cheap and regularly do well against the Claridge built ones. There will be a new deck layout coming out soon, too.

Usual advice to sail all of them, plus anything else you come across and can get a ride. Almost all boats are fun to have a go in, but finding a long term partner is harder, so do some speed dating first!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
raygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 17 at 11:15pm
I might be trying to hang on to this post just to eek out a little more knowledge from Solo, Streaker and Lightning sailors.

Today I was able to have a look at the Solo and the Streaker and have a chat with their owners.  The Solo is the larger of the boats and would probably need me to be sailing with the more flexible mast with my 75kg weight.  The Streaker is also a lot easier to manage.  I am thinking a Streaker of a Lightning 368 would be the better of the 3 to start with.

There are a few differences between the 2.  The lightning needs no rigging and has a centreboard.  The Streaker has a larger class and probably a more competitive fleet.

For anyone who has sailed either of these boats what are the differences?  I know it is a personal thing but do either of them stand out as a better boat for any reason?

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 7:31am
If you enjoyed chatting to the Streaker owners at your club, the slight differences between the boats will be far outweighed by the enjoyment of sailing with/racing against those people.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 8:51am
Just a couple of thoughts re the Solo...
The Solo rig is quite adaptable - with the sail controls working properly, you can adjust the outhaul, cunningham, kicker and traveller. This means that you can depower upwind (more outhaul, lots of cunningham), use kicker and let the traveller out a bit and still keep offwind power.
I've not seen that with our Streaker fleet.
I've seen that a number of Streakers also have the Splash - a reduced area sail.
Ultimately, choose a dinghy that you're comfortable with, group of sailors you can get along with and enjoy the sailing.

Don't buy a new boat until you're happy with the dinghy, just makd sure that your s/h choice passes a buoyancy test. I've seen too many dinghies where the hull to deck seal has failed. It's only noticeable with theboat capsized, then it's a swine to beach and repair.

Colin
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 17 at 3:29pm
A Giles built Lightning (pre 401 sail number) will, generally, cost peanuts to buy and were very solidly built so will stand up to quite a bit of abuse (both physically and verbally :-) )

Great light wind boats and can be real fun in anything from a Force3.

The giles boats will generally come with a very flexible needlespar mast with carbon top that bends of amazingly in gusts to help keep you upright and they will have all controls coming to each side deck so in easy reach for quick & easy adjustment.

The pivoting centreboard is a godsend when crashing into a lee shore - as is the lifting rudder. 
Tracked mast avoids all the issues of the sleeved type sails and means you can drop the main quickly - either off or, indeed, on the water.

They do sit fairly high in the water which keeps you a little drier on those nice reaches - but can be a little trickier to get back into following a capsize.

Actually, there were a few Lightnings at Dovestone a few years ago, we used to go there as part of the circuit.

Denholme and Ulley have a few boats these days so contact anyone at those clubs (Jason Gallagher for Denholme) and have a try to see what you think.
Actually, iiiitick on here has a Lightning history so a trip over to Combs SC could be very worthwhile.

PY is very favourable at the moment too  LOL

Edited by fleaberto - 21 Sep 17 at 3:35pm
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 8:58am
I think the smaller sail for the streaker is called the wave sail (http://www.streaker-class.org.uk/the-dinghy half way down that page).
Jubilado Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jubilado Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 17 at 5:40pm
I have an older GRP Streaker. I like the boat, particularly as it is light to pull up the slipway. However, our lake has lots of shallow patches and I keep crunching the dagger board on the bottom and it can get damaged. I have been wondering about swopping it for a Lightning. So a couple of questions. Is the boom of the Lightning lower than on the Streaker? And does the Lightning invert when it capsizes or does the carbon bit on the top of the mast help keep the boat on its side? And any other comments on the difference between the two boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12