FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Streaker v Solo V Lightning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
raygreen View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote raygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streaker v Solo V Lightning
    Posted: 09 Sep 17 at 10:39pm
A question regarding single handed dinghy's.

I am 50 and new to sailing.  Just about to take my RYA Level 2.  I have been sailing a Pico on our local reservoir but find this so uncomfortable having a hip problem.  It's got to be better than that!!  I'm sure the Pico was designed by the devil?  I have always been a competitive fell runner and squash player but hip issues have put a stop to that.

I need something I can get my legs into but being a competitive person I want something I can drop my legs into and still get involved with club racing and perhaps events on the sea.  I know some people will say 'a Laser is the boat'.  Not sure that in terms of my hip I might have the same issues with a Laser as a Pico, if not quite so bad.

I have spotted the Streaker/ Solo/ Lightning which look more comfortable than a Laser but still offer good racing opportunity.

I am 5'10 and 75kg.

Any recommendations on the above, advantages and disadvantages and also how the opportunities fair to race against others in the same class.

Thanks.
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 9:32am
The Lightning and Streaker are relatively shallow compared to the Solo so you may find it harder to find a comfy position to sail in.

The Solo is probably the best bet of the 3 you have mentioned. I wouldn't recommend a Laser if you have a hip problem.

It will also depends on budget as well... I would guess pretty strong if you want to be competitive (especially in a Solo).

Maybe consider a Fusion as well to build your skills? Like a Pico but much better in terms of size and ergonomics (and fairly cheap brand new).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 9:56am
Check out the local clubs, and the class association websites.

If you can find a club with any of the dinghies you shortlist, pop in and (after racing, or during lunch break) talk to the helms and ask if you could try one.

Mostly, you'll have a result.

My club has Solos and Streakers - the Streaker is lighter so easier to retrieve from the water, the Solo has a deeper hull and is more comfy - though possibly more expensive.

S/h wooden versions are less expensive than frp, but will require a bit more tlc.

Always try a s/h boat on the water, if nothing else, it confirms that all the bits are there!

Which part of the country are you?

Colin
(Edit to complete name - duh)

Edited by ColPrice2002 - 10 Sep 17 at 9:56am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 10:18am
Not had much to do with the Streaker.
Solo nice boat, fairly comfortable, more technical than Lightning, assuming you mean Lightning 368.
Lightning, a lot cheaper than Solo, and less technical, more forgiving for a novice.
Have a look at Hartly rotomould range, their 12 very comfortable.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 1:10pm
Pico is a tiny think compared to a Laser or the others. Streaker is small too but a 6ft mate has just bought one and finds it comfy enough. Also consider the Supernova if you'll be sailing on a lake but my choice for sailing on big lakes or open water would be the Blaze. I've had one for just under a year now and it may just be the best boat I've ever owned (and I've had a few over the years. I'm 64, 5'7" and 76kg with 50+ years sailing/racing experience. Your height and weight combined with your fitness should make you competitive in any of the boats mentioned once you get a little experience. Is your reservoir a club or sailing centre? If it's a club what do they sail there?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 2:42pm
Don't buy any of them, awful things, look at something more modern, Aero, D-Zero, Solution they are the three best single handers right now.
raygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the replies so far.  I am from Oldham and sail on Dovestones Reservoir.  Not the largest of waters and very blustery.  Quite a few Lasers in the club and the larger Flying 15's - tend to be the main boats out racing.

I also don't mind wood.  I used to be a carpenter so something about a wooden boat appeals to be (Might change my mind when it comes to owning one).  I don't want to spend a fortune at this stage.  Certainly won't be buying a new boat.

I think I would struggle on an R2Aero looking at how flat they are - look great fun though.  The thing is probably to try a few boats out.  I think we have a Streaker and a Solo at the club.  Will see if I can get a demo sail.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 7:33am
There are Lightnings at Denholme SC if you'd like to try one. Jason, our Chairman, sails there.

I chose the Lightning because of the deep cockpit, but also because an old Lightning is both cheaper and generally in much better condition than an old GRP Solo.

Wooden Solos, if well looked after, will have lasted better than the old glass boats. But check for soft areas under the mast, where water pools. I've seen masts punch through the bottom where the for has set in.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
raygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 11:47pm
The Streaker and the Lightning 368 are probably more comparable than the Solo (in terms of hull weight and sail size).  I really do like the look of the Solo but my weight at 75kg might be more suited to the the two lighter boats.  The Solo also seems a lot deeper in comparison to the other two but all look ok to give ample comfort.  Rupert I would love to take up your offer with the Lightning as soon as my Level 2 is completed.  Was just cancelled this weekend unfortunately.  Waiting for a new date.

So for those familiar with the boats;

If the Solo was out of the equation how do the Streaker and the Lightning 368 stack up against each other?  Do the have a similar fleet and is there a good opportunity for racing around the country?

Anything I should be looking for in terms of upgrades with sails, boom, mast etc?
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 9:24am
The streaker fleet is active with several circuits and well attended nationals.  New boats are being built by 2 builders and kits are available.  Class association is active and friendly.  My feeling is the lightning isn't such a large or active class.  This probably puts a slight price premium on the streaker as there is more support & events.

This is coming from my experience as a streaker sailor, I have no experience of the lightning, I'm know there are a few on here who do sail them and may chip in.  Best bet is to have a sail in both and decide if the difference is worth the cost/class activeness differences.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>