FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking technique
    Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 1:15pm
Unless it's windy I really don't think flat is always as fast as they say anyway. Less wetted area slightly heeled, we'd never sail a board flat unless it's blowing and we're planing.

Edited by iGRF - 14 Sep 17 at 1:16pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 1:34pm
It depends completely on the hull design. Some are much more tolerant of a few degrees heel than others.
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 6:36pm
OK, so I am sad too

Using the highly technical straight edge of a TV remote, it seems to me that half of the heel is because the rig is not perpendicular in the boat, as the rig is angled more than the hull
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 8:34pm
Slack rig is 'de rigure' on the Blaze ;)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 9:42pm
One of the interesting things with the laser is that when it is fully flat the daggerboard starts to slop around, which is another reason you see them sailed slightly heeled. 

You joke about the spirit level but a simple inclinometer is a very overlooked bit of kit, if only for motivation to hike harder! Also interesting is that in high end keelboats (Fast 40, TP etc) it is quite common to sail to a heel angle downwind rather than a wind angle or target speed. 
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I'll remember to take a spirit level with me next time I sail the Blaze  Wink

But, yes it was interesting, I was aware it wasn't absolutely flat but would have said 5º was close enough to make little or no difference. This got me looking at the heel angles of some top Laser sailors (images of world championships) and it's pretty rare for any of them to show the boats completely flat upwind, despite that being the coaches mantra. I'll be happy with sub 6º heel angles upwind I reckon.  Smile

Lasers are a little different to most - the freeboard is so low that completely flat doesn't work in all sea states because the waves slap you even if you straight leg hike.  You also need a slight bit of heel for your upwind kinetics to be effective.

Slight heel + kinetics is much much faster than flat with no kinetics.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 3:00pm
Hmm kinetics? Would that be the same kinetics the Miracle mums keep shouting RR42 at me everytime I move a cramped muscle down the lake?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 3:48pm
Kinetics = ooching, rocking and pumping = cheating  Angry
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Kinetics = ooching, rocking and pumping = cheating  Angry

Expect that isn't true is it...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 4:30pm

Prohibited Actions

Without limiting the application of rule 42.1, these actions are prohibited:

1. (a)  pumping: repeated fanning of any sail either by pulling in and releasing the sail or by vertical or athwartship body movement;

2. (b)  rocking: repeated rolling of the boat, induced by

1. (1)  body movement,

2. (2)  repeated adjustment of the sails or centreboard, or

(3) steering;

3. (c)  ooching: sudden forward body movement, stopped abruptly;

4. (d)  sculling: repeated movement of the helm that is either forceful or that propels the boat forward or prevents her from moving astern;

5. (e)  repeated tacks or gybes unrelated to changes in the wind or to tactical considerations. 

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>