FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking technique
    Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by piglet

Oh Ye that is averse to 300's, 200's, hiking and most things relating to our sport.
I am wondering if you would benefit from an alternative pastime.
Philately?

I am the messiah, sent to save you all from yourselves and change your sport for the better.

So I know you really want to answer my questions.

1) How do you manage to climb up the side of a 300 during a tack, do you have steps? A ladder?

2) This facial expression, obviously de rigeur in the 300 class, do you practise in the mirror at night to perfect it?

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 5:46pm
It would be good to have classes where one could sit out with bum over side comfortably, but be prohibited from getting out those few inches further into knee destruction mode. Sadly I'm not smart enough to think of a rule that would work.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 6:50pm
Yotty style guard rails that you are not allowed to sit on top of (maybe with razor wire on the top Cry)?

Way back when I was sailing an Oppie sitting on the side was prohibited, you had to sit on the floor of the boat.......

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 11 Sep 17 at 6:51pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 7:44pm
The incidence of extreme hiking except in the highest of winds could be reduced by rebalancing the normally accepted ratio of power to righting moment.

That is: less sail area to beam (Blaze Fire & full racks) , lower aspect rigs and shorter dagger boards.

Of course there would be performance penalties but apart from iGRF I suspect most people here understand that you cannot bend the laws of physics to suit your perfect pattern. Last come last any dinghy will be a product of many compromises.  

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 7:57pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 8:06pm
jimc,
Whilst sitting on side of boat, buttocks must not un-perch, head must not go lower than 45 dgrees from vertical.
Call it the perching rule.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 8:19pm
Don't forget it needs to be a rule that's enforceable at club level where there's a reluctance to protest. It needs to be easier to enforce than the current kinetics rule.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 8:27pm
You want a rule? Simple, ban toe straps.

transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 8:54pm
..........tie yer genitals to the toe straps.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 9:45pm
Just screw plastic chairs to the decks and sit in them.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>