FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PLB Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EddyP View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EddyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLB Question
    Posted: 24 Aug 17 at 9:26am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to ask some advice about PLBs? Since being encouraged by my father to get into sailing over the last couple of years, I finally took the plunge last year and haven’t looked back since. I am lucky enough to live in Brighton, so have had plenty of opportunities to get out on the water this summer.

I am yet to venture too far afield, but have been thinking of doing my first Channel Island tour next Spring/Summer with a friend of mine who is a more experienced sailor.

From a safety perspective, I have been looking at getting a PLB of my own over the next couple of months. I have had a look online and have been considering either the Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB or McMurdo FastFind 200 –https://www.marinesuperstore.com/safety-beacons/plb-ais

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using these models and if there are any key differences between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Tynesider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tynesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 17 at 2:34pm
Hi Eddy

I liked the Ocean as it clipped easily onto my life jacket (where it should be not left on the boat) and it has a few advantages over the McMurdo see here and scroll down for comparisons plus others

http://www.marinechandlery.com/ocean-signal-rescue-me-plb1-the-world-s-smallest-plb

Always ware your life jacket NEVER think you cannot fall overboard

Mike

Edited by Tynesider - 26 Aug 17 at 3:15pm
      Archivist for the
Colvic Watson Owners Group    
EddyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EddyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 17 at 9:34am
Hi Mike,

Thank you ever so much for that Mike, much appreciated!
Tynesider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tynesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 17 at 12:19pm
Hi Eddy Forgot to say as don't be fooled by the picture of me sailing dinghy as I have sailed offshore usually single handed for over 35 years in my Colvic Watson Motor Sailor 
Regards
Mike
      Archivist for the
Colvic Watson Owners Group    
 Post Reply Post Reply