FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

topper tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: topper tips
    Posted: 14 Aug 17 at 8:27pm
my lad seems to have developed a taste for sailing after a school trip to france. (he had a mild interest before, but this seems worth pursuing) he sailed with me in the scorpion last week and had a spell helming in between races. He seems to be picking things up quite well. So we are off to have a go in club toppers this week, assuming the weather is ok.

thinking forwards a boat purchase may be on the horizon, not new but possibly of reasonable condition. I note on the ITCA website there are mention of improvements made in recent times - mast pot changes, foam block filling and sail changes, but it doesnt say when these occurred.

can anyone shed any light?
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 17 at 10:01pm
If he's going to go racing or through training he ought to have the new bells and whistles, particularily the centremain. Buy one with all the new bits because they cost a damn fortune. Whilst I am unconvinced the centremain is actually an improvement over sternsheeting, wihout a hadow of doubt that's where all the training will be focussed.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 17 at 10:12pm
Agree, buy with all the bits. For a child/younger teen the ergonomics if centre sheeting is probably better, even if personally I think it is slower, especially on smaller water. Great boats to race, fun to sail in a bit of breeze, plenty of competition.
Can't shed any light on the hull changes, but the sail you'd likely change once he gets up to speed, so not too much of an issue. I won a couple of opens early this century, as it was dying as an adult raced boat, in quite an old hull with some decent kit, so don't get too hung up on boat age, more on condition and kit.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 12:15am
i do think the centre  sheeting change was  perhaps pressed by  ' the system' as Oppi and  Laser are  centre sheeted 

while the hulls are not indestructible  they don't deteriorate in the way wooden or  grp hulls can ( don't  rot, don;t think there's an equialent to osmosis etc ... 

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 7:30am
They can distort if badly stored, but you can normally get it back if left in sunshine.
They can also crack, requiring plastic welding, but I have yet to see a decent looking repair.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 8:11am
Suspect the OP is looking for "not new" rather than "indescribably tatty", so hopefully deck splits won't be a factor in the search. Quite a few ex squad boats will come on the market at the end of the season, I'd imagine.

Used to weld Topper's back together, including one that had come off the roof of a car and broken in half. Agree no welds look good, and that one was truly awful. The boat did sail again, though!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 10:08am
End of the season is NOW so far as Toppers are concerned. (Nationals were last week - National Series starts afresh in September). Lots of Toppers available on ApolloDuck - all sorts of ages and conditions. Pick the best boat that fits your budget - there haven't been any significant changes in build for a long time, so unless you buy a really old boat it will be the same construction as a new one.
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 8:42pm
thanks all, off to browse the classifieds
 Post Reply Post Reply