FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Nationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Nationals
    Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 9:51pm
Wow, only 20 boats at the Laser (full rig) nationals. That's got to be the lowest ever surely. We had more than that at our local open meeting!
Graduate 2928
OK 2071
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 10:22pm
Its interesting isn't. The true National have 20 full rig and 70 odd radials plus 50 4.7s, the masters Nationals about 50 of each Full and Radial. Looking at the entry list the true Nationals appears in practice to be a youth event.

I'd be interested to hear whether the Laser CA regards this as a problem.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 9:34am
Youth event apart from Matt Howard. If it keeps blowing the rest have a big problem catching him.
He was Giles coach in Rio and is a real downwind animal in a blow.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 10:37am
Matt is a very good sailor and has also dominated solo nationals in recent years.
Yes sadly it has been downhill the last 10 years for non youth pathway aspects of laser class.
Symptomatic of the chronic underinvestment in the "game" by the builder, who are just milking the cash cow of lots of kids and their parents who still think they are going to be the next ainslie.
15 y ago it used to be a good laugh everyone would party a lot from the Olympic wannabes (for whom the nationals was a "fun" regatta and that was good.
Culturally I think te fun element has been squashed in youth / squad sailing which may mean less liabilities but does not make for a rounded fun event that anyone looks forward to.
Apart from the u18s anyone over 35 or so will just go to master nationals instead where they won't get cuffed by sixth formers and there may be some social activity.
piglet View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 10:33pm
In hindsight was the Masters idea good for the class?
My lad is 17, done with squads, still enjoys fleet racing but can't be doing with the pasta and pressure brigade.
He would enjoy the masters scene, but has another 18 years to wait!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 7:54am
The regional circuit open I joined in with at Whitefriars appeared to be made up of club sailors and not too serious, by Laser standards. Some needed to read the rule book a little more closely, though.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:05am
Originally posted by piglet

In hindsight was the Masters idea good for the class?
My lad is 17, done with squads, still enjoys fleet racing but can't be doing with the pasta and pressure brigade.
He would enjoy the masters scene, but has another 18 years to wait!

an interesting point - what this identifies is the chronic underinvestment made by company in the game they should support.

I don't think it would be the correct thing to do to open up the masters to 18 plus or 21 plus... that is, imho, self defeating.   

FWIW - if he's off to university, then there's the BUSA fleet racing champs once per year - which are always good fun and historically, the Laser fleet was well contested with a healthy appreciation of the evening activities.   

After that, well that's trickier - I guess club & circuit sailing or a change in class are the only options.  

I am sure I'm not the only one who read Steve Cockerill's interview about the Aero world champs and thought there's definitely a very healthy future for that class coming to fruition.

Edited by turnturtle - 02 Aug 17 at 9:06am
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:12am
I wonder if they should consider running the full rig Laser Nationals with the masters event rather than with what is now the junior event - or at least not at the same time as the radials and 4.7s. Without the hordes of teens and their helicopter parents the adults might feel more inclined to turn out. Rather hard luck on the adult radial sailors though and every championship needs to encourage the ladies if it wants the best possible turnout.

While I hold no candle - to say the least - for Pushchairs inc, I'm not sure what I would have them do about the problem, if such its considered. You'd think the 20-35 age group would be a key marketing group for them to focus on! Maybe the CA should consider splitting out the proper Nationals from the Junior event, but that means running three championships a year, which is a hell of an overhead even for a CA with manufacturer support.

Edited by JimC - 02 Aug 17 at 9:16am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:39am
The windsurf racing scene used to run a 'youths and masters' national champs and an open to all series and nationals. Back when I was racing them the youths and masters was a well attended event.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:43am
Originally posted by JimC

I wonder if they should consider running the full rig Laser Nationals with the masters event rather than with what is now the junior event - or at least not at the same time as the radials and 4.7s. Without the hordes of teens and their helicopter parents the adults might feel more inclined to turn out. Rather hard luck on the adult radial sailors though and every championship needs to encourage the ladies if it wants the best possible turnout.

While I hold no candle - to say the least - for Pushchairs inc, I'm not sure what I would have them do about the problem, if such its considered. You'd think the 20-35 age group would be a key marketing group for them to focus on! Maybe the CA should consider splitting out the proper Nationals from the Junior event, but that means running three championships a year, which is a hell of an overhead even for a CA with manufacturer support.

I have to hold a hand up for ignorance on this, but surely there is no actual requirement for a Laser CA youth event on top of the youth nationals run by the RYA?  Wasn't it in Hayling this year, Easter time-ish?  

From an outside perspective, it does rather look like the Laser CA is focusing on their youth sailing market - but hey, I'm not qualified to say if this is 'problem' per say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>