FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Nationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Daniel Holman View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 6:59pm
Youth stuff is all rya run, senior and for that mattter master is run by Ca.
End of the day laser is owned and run by a vc who is only really worried about maximum return for minimum outlay in quickest time. Youth and to a lesser extent Olympic stuff is the gravy train, the golden goose which means you don't have to actively market. There has been no new product development by laser performance in the last decade or so (and I don't count taking nearly all that time to get a composite topmasst and radially cut Dacron sail to market )
Guess the proliferation means that informal regional and club racing is ok but I would bet my house that it is no thanks to builder supports.
Literally just wringing the brand and products out. And a lot of suppliers I believe.
If the laser came out as a new entrant to the market now at a fraction of the price it would be laughed off the market.
The other bits that are supposed to justify the cost aren't getting supported. But they get away with it because of the legacy hegemony and economies of scale.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12