New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Rock n Rolla RS200 content
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock n Rolla RS200 content

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 04 Jan 07
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 422
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 9:48pm
Cheap??
At the show, the Hartley Wayfarer was cheaper than the 200, and there must be 2 or even 3 200's in a Waybarge.
Back to Top
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 11 Aug 04
Location: Whitefriars sc
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7683
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 10:26pm
The gyroscope has been tried, but can't remember what on.

Agree 200s are tippy and not cheap, yet very popular. Must be doing something people want?

Edited by Rupert - 07 Aug 17 at 10:26pm
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
Back to Top
Peaky View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 15 Nov 08
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2571
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 11:22pm
Cheap to own perhaps, rather than cheap to buy. Didn't realise a waybarge was cheaper, but Hartleys do seem to do some cracking deals.
Back to Top
Fatboi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Aug 16
Location: Hampshire
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 1:28pm
You can pick an old and solid 200 up from as little as 3k and be part of some quality racing at a lot of clubs and also on the circuit. 

Hard work in breeze, all about cranking on the kicker to flatten off that big old main and then getting the weight back downwind and blasting! 

The Rushall DVD is excellent and provides some very transferable skills a great watch to learn the best practices and great to watch James Peters (Ex 200 national champ and current 49er bronze medalist) show us how to do it. There used to be a lot of clips on YouTube - Definitelyworth watching. 
Back to Top
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 05 Dec 14
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1620
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 2:52pm
The 200 is a cracking little boat - part of their charm is how engaging they are and how well they respond to active rather than passive sailing.    
Back to Top
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 26 Jan 12
Location: North
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 844
Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 4:23pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t565448VD5I

Back to Top
piglet View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 04 Jan 07
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 422
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 4:56pm
That's why I sail one.
SO,
We make a point of going out when it's blowing good & proper for the above reason and to keep chipping away at the gybes.
At 25Kts we are probably at about 80% success rate, but the other 20% is proving elusive.
The 20% is almost always blown flat immediately after the boom crosses.
We are going in flat out, I take a bearing, reverse the helm etc.
would love to know where we're going wrong


Edited by piglet - 08 Aug 17 at 4:58pm
Back to Top
Fatboi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Aug 16
Location: Hampshire
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 4:59pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUD1mjwie_k
Back to Top
fab100 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 11
Online Status: Online
Posts: 743
Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by piglet

That's why I sail one.
SO,
We make a point of going out when it's blowing good & proper for the above reason and to keep chipping away at the gybes.
At 25Kts we are probably at about 80% success rate, but the other 20% is proving elusive.
The 20% is almost always blown flat immediately after the boom crosses.
We are going in flat out, I take a bearing, reverse the helm etc.
would love to know where we're going wrong

In the 100, the trick is to be crossing the boat before he boom starts moving, so that you hit the gunwale before the boom lands

Back to Top
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 06 Jan 07
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 207
Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 8:11pm
Holding onto the gybing strop as the boom cones over takes a lot of the slam out of the gybe. We tend to reverse helm back onto a very broad reach and then power it up. Not as quick as the very best, but we survive the majority of gybes which is obviously much quicker than swimming.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz