FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock n Rolla RS200 content

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock n Rolla RS200 content
    Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 8:58pm
[QUOTE=fab100] Holding onto the gybing strop as the boom cones over takes a lot of the slam out of the gybe. QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jaydub] In the 100, the trick is to be crossing the boat before he boom starts moving, so that you hit the gunwale before the boom lands. QUOTE]

I can see good reason in both but being a bit short in stature doing both is a bit of a stretch.
I suspect not hitting the new gunwale hard enough might be part of the problem.

Edited by piglet - 08 Aug 17 at 8:59pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 17 at 10:28pm
Trouble with hitting the new gunwale hard is tipping in to windward. This will be where Being on the broad reach would help, I guess.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 17 at 10:15pm
Being as we had a windy club week last week, we had a chance to progress this a bit and made some progress.
Not swimming is essentially down to me getting my backside to the new gunwale in a timely manner while being more accurate with the wiggle stick. My failing here is that I tend to grab the new gunwale with my tiller hand which doesn't make for fluid steering.
Anyway we are now more confident in 20Kts+

However there is a new problem that we don't have an answer for.
Wineglassing.
STMBO has the kite well sorted in most conditions but now we are new territory at 20Kts+ it's going wrong again.
Suggestions much appreciated.
Tim
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 17 at 10:20pm
Try sheeting in pre gybe.
Tessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 17 at 6:56am
Originally posted by JimC

I think that's a safe option with the kite. Actually, it's a good option when gybing the main too. Generally we go carefully into gybes, keeping an eye on maintaining boat speed, and faster on the way out. But for the kite, one trick that had to be explained to me, suitable for all but the windiest occasions, is to make sure it is the first sail to start the gybe - let it fly out ahead of the forestay and then be sheeting in on the new gybe while the helm is still doing whatever it is they do in a gybe. Helm needs to choose a heading to end the gybe enough to keep the kite filling, as boat speed helps.

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 17 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Tessa

Originally posted by JimC

Generally we go carefully into gybes, keeping an eye on maintaining boat speed, and faster on the way out. But for the kite the first sail to start the gybe - let it fly out ahead of the forestay .

That all sounds really tricky, maybe I am steering into the gybe too fast.
We get ready, then choose the wave and when the boat feels 'light' I call it, stand up and steer through promptly so as to maintain the hull speed, flicking the boom as I cross. There aint a lot of time for kite sheet management it's more a case of drop it and grab it on the new side.

I could try and post some GoPro from the mast of what we are doing.
Tessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 17 at 11:29am
I don't see many helms actually stand up to gybe. Not sure if that is just a turn of phrase, but try keeping your weight low. I don't get much chance to see what they actually do in the back of the boat ... but I remember going through a phase where himself tried a hundred ways of moving across the boat, sometimes falling over in the back of the boat.  Nowadays it's a sort of dive and glide but trying not to slip and paying attention to the roll. Not sure how we manage the roll. Not very fast I guess, but I have to try not to move to leeward too soon as we need the boat to be flat for the gybe and not heeled to leeward. Hope it helps!
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 17 at 2:00pm
Well, when I say stand I mean lunge.
We try and set set a touch of heel to help the steer in, mostly by me dumping an armfull of sheet, then try and come out flat.
SWMBO steps in, grabs the kicker falls and yanks when I yank the strop so we are in sync, she then jumps up dragging the new sheet with her.
This bit seems to go fairly well now, albeit with a few moments of Scooby Doo legs and stick dropping going on in the back.
It's what happens with the flappy thing that's eluding us.
Tessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 17 at 9:28pm
A little heel to windward going into the gybe sounds good. You will need to ease some main but I don't know how much. I cannot think of any good reason to touch the kicker, as grabbing it may alter the shape of the main and disturb the flow. I don't grab the kicker, but I do need himself to count me into the gybe ... 3, 2, 1, go. Regarding the flappy thing and the wineglass, I don't think it can do it if there is not enough rope, so hold onto it. There's not enough time for mucking about with ropes, so the sheets have to be tied together in a continuous loop and be just long enough for sitting out behind the thwart. Any longer and you end up with rope around your ankles. Then, another tip that had to be explained to me by the younger generation, is not to move your hand on the rope all the time, but straighten your arm and raise it high, then when you drop your arm you let out that 'armful' of sheet and you are still holding it, so no wineglass? I don't think I let the old sheet go until I am sure it's safe to do so. Aim to let it out until the clew of the kite is just floating near the forestay, then you are instantly ready to sheet in on the new gybe. Does not work so well when it is very windy in which case do what Jim says. Hope that makes sense!

So I watched some of the Rs 200 videos on YouTube and it all happens so quickly, it's hard to see what's going on. Main and kite seem to gybe together, but you cannot do that unless you start letting out the old sheet first. 

How does that sound?

Tessa

PS I have been known to grab the tiller when himself got his foot stuck under the old windward toe strap and could not move  Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 17 at 3:48pm
Below are old videos but have some slow motion gybes from boom end and mast. 

If the boom is smashing over and you're capsizing to leeward on the exit, it's probably a sign the main is too far out on entry. At the end of one of the videos on my channel there's a capsize where this is the case. The main shouldn't be too far out going down wind if you're on the apparent. What then happens is you have to steer through a greater angle before it will come across. This means you slow down more, as you have bigger turn, plus when it does come across you're headed up higher on the new gybe which overpowers you. 

Rolls to windward can happen on entry and exit. It usually means you let the main out too quickly. This can happen on the entry if the helm lets sheet out as they move in (or drops it!). It happens on the exit sometimes when the boom comes across hard and rips the sheet out of the helms hand. 

Death rolling off the beach is probably just because the board isn't down.

Getting the Spinnaker through nicely is more about the old sheet than the new. Take up all the slack in the new sheet before the gybe (see video below). As you go in to the boat give a hard pull on the old sheets, this flattens the kite so it blows through without folding. Then simply move across to the new side with the news sheet. If you've taken the slack out of it before the gybe there shouldn't be much rope to actually sheet on. 

The 200 is a tippy boat though. The more you lean it the faster it will turn. In heavy breeze you want to keep it pretty flat or the turn will get away from you. 

Edited by mozzy - 16 Nov 17 at 3:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234