FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock n Rolla RS200 content

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock n Rolla RS200 content
    Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 11:21am
But isn't it some sort of kids 'pathway' boat, recommended by our good friends at the RYA? There's a couple of complete beginners at our club have just bought one brand new, they were going to come out with us, but luckily obviously thought better of it, probably watching us spew it in off the beach, so, what's the logic of recommending something like that when quite clearly (we can't all be wrong) it's not the tame thing I was certainly given to believe.

None of this stuff comes with any 'health warnings' we're all expected to just 'understand'.
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 11:23am
200 is a bad choice for complete beginners, no idea about RYA recommendations.
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 12:20pm
I'd say the 200 is a fairly robust boat which has a strong class, rewards being sailed well, and doesn't seem to have too many bad habits.  It's possibly a little more challenging for the first month or so, but most likely a better prospect for long term ownership and enjoyment than many other options out there.

I'd happily trade off sitting out a few force 5-6's until I've learned the boat over buying something that I'm bored of within a year or so.
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 5:07pm
Graeme....Don't be a cnut. It's a racing dinghy for smaller grown up folk generally. Going straight out in 25 knots in something other than a cross channel ferry is going to be a challenge for anyone. It takes time and swimming otherwise.
  I think you'd be better suited to a 2000 for the odd two handed jaunt. Much kinder on your sphincter muscles....... Wink
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 5:21pm
If I'm not going to blame myself when those around me seem to be happily staying mast up, who would I blame? As Pierre has suggested for you, we switched to a 2000 until the wind abated, as my crew got fed up with my ineptitude.

The 200 has traded tippiness in a breeze for excellent light wind, confined water speed. The 2000 parks in the light stuff in comparison, but is more stable when it honks. Design choices by the same man, I believe.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 8:08pm
Yes it occurred to me it might be a bit of a light wind demon and anyway I wasn't driving, I was being helmed by a girl with green hair, I should probably have spotted there could be issues, I had had a bit of a heavy night and wasn't entirely firing on all cylinders, it was just a nasty shock, traumatised I was, but I'm feeling much better now, thanks for asking.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 10:57pm
Interesting and frank write-up.

Did the crew put the plate down as far and soon as it would go? Not doing so would explain the initial swim. there should be a carbine hook to hold it down. I always cleat rudder downhaul, then tie off the tail, belt and braces style. Screw-clamp on stock should also be pretty tight, belt, braces, squared.

On hoists and drops, the helm's primary job is to provide a stable platform for the crew to do the necessary.

In the gybe, as above, the helm should 'spot' a target exit reference point or scenary-failing that, wave angle, ballet-spin style. The 2's kite is small, so if you dont come out hot enough, it's easy to roll in to windward. As said before, speed is the friend; if the mainsail needs firmly pulling over, you've not been agressive enough in the turn and big danger lurks.

In a capsize, with the kite up, heaviest gets on tne plate double-fast to try and prevent inversion. Crew stays in water, no weight on the boat, and pulls kite in and lets kicker off. If can pull up on own, person in water comes up in boat. otherwise get them on plate too.

downwind in waves, both should be behind the thwart in that much wind; pitchpoling is slow and wet.

Generally, it's a joy to sail in a breeze, takes a bit of listening to its nuances perhaps, but rewards good technique and punishes you only for operator-error.

final thought to leave you with. Below planing conditions particularly, when you need to be in soak mode downwind, brilliant kite-trimming combined with communication and direction changes (use heel) are essential. Do not under-estimate the skill required or gains that ensue. But its great when it comes together.

Edited by fab100 - 01 Aug 17 at 6:20am
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by iGRF

It's funny how someone builds a sh*tty boat that tips over all the time and we all end up blaming ourselves for user error.. Ever considered it just might be the crap design from RS?

or have you conisdered that , given the  bloodlines of the RS200 and RS400 ,  it;s   the same as  modern fighter jets, where you have to actively keep them stable  in normal use to allow them  to be able to turn  and manouvere   at the speeds rates desired ... 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 6:36pm
Er modern fighter jets, don't they use computers to do all that and I'm fairly sure I read somewhere impossible to fly without the tech back up, but yes I'd be all for a fly by wire sailboat so all I had to do was make decisions as to where and when to point it. I even considered the idea of a big horizontal fly wheel to keep it the right way up, gyroscope style except the boat would end up being heavy as a Finn.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 17 at 8:31pm
The 200 is a very tippy boat for the performance it provides. There are plenty of inexperienced crews who have been caught out, believing that because it is cheap, robust and popular that it must be easy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>