FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step 2, RS 300?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 12:20pm
I'm sure the 300 speaks highly of you.
Steve411 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 12:22pm
Edit forgot the 300, I took one out once was lucky to get back alive, terrible boat nasty nasty nasty.

I suspect this might say more about iGRF than the 300. As with anything in life you get out what you're prepared to put in. We've already said there's a learning curve involved, but once you've got over that you get a very rewarding boat to sail.
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 Facebook page
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Steve411

Edit forgot the 300, I took one out once was lucky to get back alive, terrible boat nasty nasty nasty.

I suspect this might say more about iGRF than the 300. As with anything in life you get out what you're prepared to put in. We've already said there's a learning curve involved, but once you've got over that you get a very rewarding boat to sail.

and honestly speaking, the learning isn't even that steep compared to the 600, MPS, 700, Moth etc....  I don't think I capsized in the first few light wind sessions I sailed mine, but there's a definite step change once the breeze fills in firm.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 1:04pm
Its really a question of technique. If you've got what Bethwaite calls fast handling technique dialled properly then with 4 years experience a 300 will not be a great problem. If you haven't, then as well as getting used to a faster responding boat you've also got to unlearn your current reactions and learn new ones, and that's really rather challenging.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 1:41pm
I haven't travelled with mine so I don't know what 'proper' 300 sailors would say, but I do think you need to be nimble and light on your feet in the 300, getting your body weight into the right place quickly seems to matter.
Papa Smurf, you didn't mention the Blaze in your list of possibles. Not my cup of tea but some people like them, fast on a reach and a more stable platform for sure.
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by JimC

Its really a question of technique. If you've got what Bethwaite calls fast handling technique dialled properly then with 4 years experience a 300 will not be a great problem. If you haven't, then as well as getting used to a faster responding boat you've also got to unlearn your current reactions and learn new ones, and that's really rather challenging.

That's a fair point. I had to unlearn 20 years of downwind technique when I first got a 300. Had forgotten that.
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 Facebook page
iGRF View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by piglet

I'm sure the 300 speaks highly of you.

Why is it Australian then?
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 4:07pm

That's a fair point. I had to unlearn 20 years of downwind technique when I first got a 300. Had forgotten that.

Uh, that'll be why I'm struggling then.
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by piglet

Uh, that'll be why I'm struggling then.

It's mainly learning to bear away sharply when you get a windward roll on. You need to learn to do it instinctively - it isn't quick enough if you have to think before you do it.  LOL
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 Facebook page
Papa Smurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 5:38pm
As it happens we have a couple of Phantom's, a 300, and someone with access to a Solution at the Club.

It looks like the beer is on me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>