FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What dinghy to go for.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Andyv1968 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andyv1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dinghy to go for.
    Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 6:20pm
The laser 2ooo looks interesting, any thoughts on the Vago
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 7:49pm
this is the role that the Miracle was made for. It's a proper little boat, that will accommodate you both well, and with the spinnaker, theres a skill to grow into. the fact that the crew sits in it os also reassuring for little uns

Over and above that its light, and this is something you need to consider when ashore, because your 9 year old will be off looking for crisps, pop or a warm shower when you need to drag it up the slipway.

Really, go no further than a Miracle for this job
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 7:53am
Did the Miracle ever get a re-launch/re-brand like a number of other older classes have.

Always struck me as a great little boat, but the only ones I ever saw in the flesh were kit builds.
MattK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 9:19am
Originally posted by GarethT

Did the Miracle ever get a re-launch/re-brand like a number of other older classes have.

Always struck me as a great little boat, but the only ones I ever saw in the flesh were kit builds.

Yes, there are GRP ones, pretty ideal little machines for the right circumstance, which for us was my grandfather wanting something relatively light and easy to sail in a small bit of water 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 10:04am
Miracles are alive and well thank you very much, Banditing all over our lake and occasionally on the sea, fully agree they are good at doing the parent child thing opening up endless opportunity for child abuse and prolonging the museum piece sailing association that the majority of this sport is.
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by GarethT

Never re-branded, but they are quite snazzy these days - Laminate sails are the latest. My last one was a proper looker, with fireballesque holes in the foredeck for the spinny bags

jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 10:17pm
 I regularly sail a Hartley wayfarer with a lead centreboard which makes it very stable and almost uncapsizable...it is a great boat especially if you're beginning and even gas an Assymetric for downwind fun! It's the sort of boat that we will probably keep for a long time
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 10:06am
I'm not sure I'd want to haul a Wayfarer up the slip with only a 9 year old to help.........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Time Lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 17 at 6:40pm
Both 2000 and Vago are heavy for their size/sail area. When alongside one inthe Merlin and you get a gust, they are quickly left behind. One new Vago atthe club weighed in at some 20kgs over Laser claimed hull weight. Newer 2ks may be more down to weight no that Laser don't build them but still heavy.
Merlin Rocket 3609
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 18 at 3:42pm
My first thought is that a young lad will want something fairly exciting. Plodding around in a wayfarer will have him wanting to leave Dad behind and join the cool kids on the flying machines.

I taught my daughters on an International 14; it suited our sailing at the time - on the Thames - but would have been a bit much elsewhere. What did keep their interest was being in one of the fastest boats in the fleet.
One hull good, two hulls better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12