FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap sailing watches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap sailing watches
    Posted: 10 Jul 17 at 4:46pm
This is an old one, but worth updating.
Can anyone recommend and post a link to:
Any old cheap no-name Chinese Ebay waterproof countdown timer? That works.
The last one was slightly crap, strap broke & the case fell in half!
Nevertheless I will persevere with this noble quest.
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 17 at 9:04am
I got one from Decathlon, was about £10 and works a treat!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 17 at 10:09am
I just use a waterproof watch with a stopwatch, about £3 off ebay.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 4:48pm
Ebay Chinese watch has arrived.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152600605036

Made by SKMEI who are an established brand in China (apparently)
It costs £6.36 delivered all the way from China, is big but not heavy, big display so I can actually read the date, nice wide comfy strap with chunky buckle,
AND has a pre-settable countdown timer.
Draw backs so far, countdown only bleeps at the end and the LCD viewing angle is poor.

See how long it lasts, I've ordered another one for crew who must be obeyed.

Fatboi, does your Decathlon ten quid job have a countdown?

Edited by piglet - 01 Aug 17 at 4:49pm
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 5:21pm
Please let us know how it gets on, Piglet?

Is the countdown a simple hit and go one - set it to 5 min and start at the prep signal? Or can it be synced at each minute, as ones like the Optimum can?
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 9:59pm
Will do Peter,
There is no sync function, I havent yet found a watch that does this, maybe a feature unique to Optimum?
Tim
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:11am
Hi Piglet
tried your link without any luck but SKMEI came up on amazon with lots of different options to sort through.
I have two different watches from these people and the service is excellent.http://www.astopwatch.co.uk/products/stopwatchfunctions.asp?page=countdown-stopwatches-76
I use the fast time 11 when race officering and a wrist version when going straight from work to sail.
No I don't work for them
Regards
Gordon

Gordon
Phantom 1430
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 9:36am
What is it about the word 'sailing' that seems to give them the right to mark stuff up another couple of hundred per cent?
Look at all these watches all similar, all similar price then one is yellow has the word sailing and immediately it's three times the price. here
If it's not overpriced sails, overpriced masts and cheap built plastic sold expensive, it's no wonder we struggle to hold onto folk.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 10:02am
What is it about the word 'sailing' that seems to give them the right to mark stuff up another couple of hundred per cent? 

Mainly, I expect, the size of the market. I don't disagree that many of the mark ups are hard to swallow, but once you provide something that is specific to a small market - such as the ability to sync on the 4 minute (or whatever) signal then you are providing something a small market will want, and be prepared to pay for. And because it's a small market, compared say to timers for athletics/running etc, no one else is likely to think it worth challenging you for your excessively healthy margin. And to be fair to the producers at least some is due to having to cover your development costs over a much smaller number of sales.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 17 at 11:04am
The point you are missing is that other 'small' markets, like windsurfing, kitesurfing, and now SUP and lots of other waterspsorts all equally small in fact I'd argue way smaller than sailing yet do enjoy more reasonable pricing. Sailors therefore must be regarded as wealthy fools easily parted with their money, no other reason for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>