FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Singlehander: Advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CAMSailer View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CAMSailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Singlehander: Advice needed
    Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 3:59pm

Hi all

I have been sailing regularly fo about 18 months and think I have figured out what kind of sailing I would like to do.  Now I could do with some advice on which boat(s) to look at for my first purchase. I am 45, 13.5 stone and, having tried the clubs single-handers, double-handers etc, I am thinking a single handed asymmetric is the best option for me.

The two boats that come to mind for this are the RS Vareo and RS100. I get the impression that the vareo is the more 'accessible' of the two and would allow one of my kids to come along a fly the kite on occasion. But the 100 would keep me entertained for longer. So my questions are:

Is the 100 accessible to relatively inexperienced sailers?

Is there room in a 100 for occasional passenger/crew?

As there are vareos for less than £2k, would you recommend going for a vareo for a year or two before commiting to a 100? I think the cheapest 100s are around the £4k mark.

Any other boats or thoughts you think I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 4:34pm
I have owned both...

The Vareo is a better all-round boat for general sailing, the RS100 is definitely more racier and geared for windward/leeward racing with other asymmetric dinghies.

As for passenger carrying, the Vareo ticks that box a lot better than the RS100.

Where some people have struggled with the RS100 is capsize recovery.  Personally I didn't have an issue with it, but some folks did and it would be remiss not to point this out as a potential flaw.  This is certainly not an issue with an RS Vareo, which is very 'normal' in terms of the secondary stable manners like launching, capsize recovery, wheeling around the boat park, rigging up and tuning it etc.

Edited by turnturtle - 03 Jul 17 at 6:40pm
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 6:11pm
Much better to develop on the easier boat than overface yourself early.
CAMSailer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAMSailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 8:11pm
Thank you both for the advice, it sounds like the vareo is probably better suited to my skill level. By the way I had to look up 'overface' and it is the perfect word. I am guessing if I wanted to step down a gear and amble occasionally then the vareo would be much better suited.

Thanks again

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 8:58pm
Vareo.
Don't overspend on a first boat, plenty of opportunity for that later!!

I tried a Vareo a few years back, they certainly go well enough offwind with breeze. But upwind they have to be flat or they just park.
Never tried a 100.

Edited by piglet - 03 Jul 17 at 9:01pm
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 10:07pm
Getting a Vareo in a groove upwind takes a little time and patience- they have to be sailed low and flat, don't expect 'Laser angles'; that said, plenty of people stuff them and seem to survive to get the grin factor going back downwind again.   
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 8:20am
I had a similar decision and requirement a couple of months ago and bought a Vareo. Perfect for having a blast with or without the kite, and accommodates my other half occasionally when we both go together.  (not sure why the forum is showing the photo rotated by 90degreees ..)
a couple of months ago and bought a Vareo. I love it :-)

Edited by ttc546 - 04 Jul 17 at 8:21am
CAMSailer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAMSailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 3:39pm
Thanks again for the advice, all I need now is for the right boat to come along.....
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 17 at 4:08pm
I went for a good sail this morning in my own RS Vareo - just in case you are still interested in one  ;-)  Video here  -  (GoPro attached to boom end)

Edited by ttc546 - 05 Jul 17 at 4:09pm
CAMSailer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAMSailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 17 at 5:16pm
I am convinced :)
 Post Reply Post Reply