FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Twin trapeze technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shelby24 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shelby24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin trapeze technique
    Posted: 07 Jun 17 at 7:49am
Hi there

I'm new to twin trapeze boats and have a query on who would trapeze first in lighter winds...helm or crew?

If it helps, it's an RS800 with the crew taking the main off the boom.

Thanks in advance
Shelby
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 17 at 10:20pm
Since nobody more knowledgable has replied yet I'll throw my hat in the ring as I have sailed (blasting and non serious racing) my Spice for nine years now. I won't claim to have got close to mastering it but can usually get around a course in up to 20 knots with the odd swim.

I'd say if your crew is confident and you sail together regularly then crew first on the wire as he is responsible for boat balance (especially if he's playing the mainsheet). The helm requires a stable platform to steer with some precision and in your scenario would probably play the jib.

However I haven't got a regular crew so usually end up steering and playing the mainsheet from the wire while the irregular crew gets his trapeze head in place. This is not fast but if you are just blasting that doesn't matter too much.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 17 at 10:50pm
If there is enough wind for one of the crew to be on the wire with occasional gusts where both are needed then best to get the helm out and comfy. The crew cab quickly move about and keep the boat flat and moving.
OK 2129
RS200 411
 Post Reply Post Reply