FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cheap singlehander for inland lake racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap singlehander for inland lake racing
    Posted: 04 May 17 at 2:18pm
I know I've been here before but I can't find the old thread, and the question is slightly different this time round.

I'm looking for a cheap singlehander to race, mostly midweek, at Leigh and Lowton SC. I have been towing the Blaze home and had some good racing the couple of Wednesdays I've made it. I would consider another cheap Blaze if one came up (one sold on ebay a few weeks ago for £640) but it would probably make more sense to buy something better suited to a 140 acre lake. The obvious choices would be a Laser (or Radial) or a Solo as they both have fleets but I'm not a fan of Lasers and decent plastic Solo's are out of budget.

Others I've considered, Europe (I've just sailed open and feel I'm just a little bit big for it), Streaker (no decent plastic ones around and in budget), Supernova (a bit more power than I would like maybe?), Solution (none about at any price but out of budget when they do appear) .

I'm 64, weigh 77kg in me shorts, only averagely fit and agile. Budget is £600 but could be stretched a little and I don't want a wooden boat as it will live at the club all year round.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 2:46pm
Laser
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 4:02pm
Think you'll struggle at 600quid and plastic, might want to be spending nearer 1000 if you want to open up your choice; but if not fleet racing then how about,

Streaker
British Moth
Lightening
Supernova

Musto Skiff and Solo sailor

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 4:05pm
Smile You're right TT, that would be the sensible thing to do but see above...... If there is an alternative...... And, actually decent Lasers are not cheap, if I could justify the £2k a good one costs I'm up into Solution/Supernova money. And I doubt I'd feel much pride in ownership of a £500 Laser with soft decks and a blown out sail. I don't know about you but that matters, it's part of what makes me want to go down to the lake and sail.

Neptune, British Moth might feel a bit small (sailed a Europe, loved the boat but felt I was too big for it, might revisit though) and aren't they mostly wood in my budget? Good plastic Streakers aren't cheap, 'nova and Lightning are on the shortlist. Used Lightnings are cheap as chips and it looks a bit like a big Europe/small Finn. An older Supernova might just be affordable but trying to find the sweet spot between underpowered in the light (Europe) and too physical when it blows on a relatively gusty inland lake (Blaze is a bit of a handful then).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 04 May 17 at 4:19pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 4:59pm
If its for a mid week summer series i'd lean towards being over powered given average evening windspeeds.

if nothing else you'll not stay averagely agile for long :)

To be fair I just rolled through different classes on Apolloduck to see what might be there, depends what you mean still be "good" though. 
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 5:05pm
A few extra quid could buy you my EPS, I originally bought it for a lake, but ours is a bit small even for it, it's got both sails and a purpose designed none class 'soft' sail which makes it more manageable on the start line and in and out of transitions.
Or they come up now and again, I've enjoyed it and still do, but it's on the 'reduce your boat count if you want a motorbike' demand list from SWMBO

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 5:57pm
Lucky you Graeme, my wife has discouraged motorcycle ownership (which she's not keen on me embracing again) by allowing me to indulge my guitar and boat fetishes (to a point). I would like another bike but I'm happy to make said compromise as it makes her happier. But, you're a bit far and EPS doesn't tickle my fancy. Probably go for a Supernova if funds stretch a bit further as there are a couple at the club. Unless you want to move the Solution on super cheap ;)

Neptune, there's a 'nova on the duck at £900 so that might be a possible if he'll take an offer, a cheap GRP Streaker (but, apparently, the early glass ones were not so good) and a couple of fairly cheap Lightnings. Good, in this context, means sound, leak free and not too scruffy looking. Not so keen on a 30+ year old Laser which seem to fetch that kind of money.

I agree about over rather than underpowered but not by too much preferably (so not a Phantom).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 04 May 17 at 7:15pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 6:16pm
Hmm no I like the Solution, how about a nice MiniSprint, got one of them I don't seem to find enough time to use either? I can't live without a bike which I shall also probably get fed up with and sell like the last one, but right now, I need it more than ever to attempt to restore my bad boy mojo in the face of being nouveau vieux.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 6:33pm
Big smile
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 7:48pm
Comet, comfortable, easy to handle ashore ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>