FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cheap singlehander for inland lake racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 9:05am
That might be the obvious choice but I don't want a wooden boat and can't afford a FRP Solo. 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
Rupert View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 9:50am
Cheap supersofa in the north...

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=511691
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 10:04am
Thanks Rupe, t'is on the list for potential viewing  Smile
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

That might be the obvious choice but I don't want a wooden boat and can't afford a FRP Solo. 

With fleets starts, or results at least for Solo that would seem the absolute best choice. A wooden boat, with a good cover and modern paints probably needs much less maintenance than you think.

Depends if you want to do well because you sail well or because your boat has an easily achievable handicap

RS300, ex Musto Skiff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 17 at 12:23pm
I've done my share of wooden boat maintenance so whatever I buy has to be plastic. Unfortunately a competitive Solo is at least 4k. TBH I'm aspiring to mid fleet rather than the choccies. I have a slightly stretchable 1k to spend and I already have a Blaze. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Giles Mk1 Supernova with a recent sail or another Blaze (wouldn't need a new sail for that as I already have one).

There are two or three 'novas at L&LSC though only one sailed regularly and no other Blazes.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 28 May 17 at 2:09pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 17 at 1:29pm
Well I've bought a Supernova, number 395, an old Giles built boat but she is structurally solid, only a little over (mk1) minimum weight and comes with a good Hartley/Jeckles (current version) sail, a second one in need of a panel replacement and a couple of serviceable (Hyde?) spares. Lots of small jobs to do to get her back up to race condition but nothing expensive or difficult...... and the price was right.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345