FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cheap singlehander for inland lake racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 11:39am
Why, do you?  Evil Smile

It is a cracking boat though.....
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Just wading my way through a huge thread about the Lightning http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5355&PN=1&title=lightning-368
A couple of things have been mentioned, in particular the low boom, it was suggested that it's as low as a Europe (which would take it off my shortlist) and that they are a handful in a blow.
So I'm back at Streaker and Supernova (with a possible side order of Solo/L@ser Radial). Has anybody sailed both 'nova and Blaze in a breeze? I love the Blaze on the sea (and on the Lake TBH) but think I would find something narrower/rack free easier on the lake.

Having owned both, there is no comparison in boom height. It is both higher and the cockpit deeper. Plenty more room than a Laser, for comparison.
In a blow, they will have nosediving issues if you take too much kicker off and free the main too far. The old needlespars are quite bendy, and can end up over the bow. They are no worse than the Europe, which I turned into a paddling pool several times, with the bonus of being self draining.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 2:59pm
I looked at the google images for the Lightning after I posted and had reached that conclusion  Smile

I won't be sailing it on the sea so the nosediving issues are probably somewhat mitigated. There are a couple of cheap ones on Apollo Duck just now but at the other end of the country (one near my sisters though, I feel a visit coming on). Still thinking Supernova at the moment, I'm a better light wind sailor than heavy so I'd like something that flatters me when it blows (like the Blaze).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 3:06pm
GRumpf - If you sailed half as well as most of the women who've ever spent significant time in the Europe Class, you'd be taken a shed load more seriously ;-)

They are amazing boats - shame us young chaps weren't kicked out of Oppies at 13 and into them for a few seasons - far nicer boats than Laser Radials, Bytes etc

Edited by turnturtle - 06 May 17 at 3:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 3:13pm
I'm still tempted to try to lose a little weight so I could sail a Europe, but then reality kicks in.......  Unhappy

So, realistically I'm down to Supernova, Lightning 368 and Streaker. There are used examples of each around at prices I'm prepared to consider.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 06 May 17 at 3:16pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 5:06pm

Why, do you?  Evil Smile
It is a cracking boat though.....
No, nowhere near as good as the girls down the lake, they beat me into a cocked hat most of the time.
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 10:58pm

I'm still tempted to try to lose a little weight so I could sail a Europe, but then reality kicks in.......  Unhappy

So, realistically I'm down to Supernova, Lightning 368 and Streaker. There are used examples of each around at prices I'm prepared to consider.
I have owned or sailed all of these. If you are over 12 and half stone buy the supernova. If you are under this and want a bargain/cheap boat, buy a lightning. If you have more money to spend buy a streaker. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 11:28pm
Interesting as Alan Gillard says on the Streaker website says :-

"As any of you who have tried it will know, windy weather Streaker sailing can be a difficult, but exciting experience that needs some practice and preparation to enable you to enjoy it to the full. To start with the boat isn't very well balanced on the helm. Upwind, despite it's obvious natural love of heading into wind, the boat becomes difficult to tack and maintaining the optimum heading needs excessive rudder movement if you are to keep on top of things."

Doesn't inspire confidence..... The Supernova website suggests that the competitive weight range is 60-90 kg I'm around 12 stone (77kg in my shorts) so exactly in the middle. Is the Super nova CA selling duff information or is 12.5 stone (80kg) the minimum weight to be competitive in the 'nova? 

The Streaker, which is considerably shorter than the 'nova (410mm) claim a similar weight range, and the top ten at the 2016 Nats had sailors from 58 to 82kg. I'm nearer the top end of that range but still feel I'd be a bit heavy for the boat?

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 06 May 17 at 11:38pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 17 at 7:12am
A number of our Streaker helms have invested in the "Splash" mainsail - reduced size for those blustery days.

Colin
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 17 at 9:11am
I was 73kg when I had my supernova, had less trouble with it in heavy weather than I did with the laser I had before it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>