FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cheap singlehander for inland lake racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap singlehander for inland lake racing
    Posted: 07 May 17 at 5:53pm
Alan Gillard's idea of windy weather might be more like some of our stay in the bar weather?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 17 at 6:11pm
You may well be right LOL but it's still a bit of a worry seeing it on the website.......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 9:32am
That Streaker is a bit agricultural to sail, chunky flat sided foils don't help and the one I tried exhibited weather helm quite out of proportion for the size of boat and sail, I didn't like it at all. Difficult to believe but the Solo which pre dates it felt better, not that I liked it much either, Spiders live in them and I wasn't impressed by the way they tried to abandon ship just because I took the helm.

I'm under immense pressure to get a Laser for the sea and a Streaker for the lake, there are fleets of both and I'm being told how much better I'd do racing in a class, but if it's at the expense of sailing something horrible doesn't that negate the whole reason we do this? I do it for enjoyment and doing well, winning/losing is not even secondary to the actual fun of the chase and the chase is enhanced by sitting in something comfortable and well mannered so you can concentrate on what's outside the boat rather than its bad manners.

Edited by iGRF - 08 May 17 at 9:36am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 10:02am
Yes, exactly. It's back to owning a boat that makes you want to get out of bed to go sailing. Like you, Laser and Streaker just don't do it for me.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 10:13am
That Supernova is a nice ride, it's just got a sh*t rig, large roached fully battened piece of crap that is difficult to control on the start line I recall, I'd buy it, ditch the sail and have a semi soft sail built to the same measurements, like I did for the EPS, which is a joy (relatively) compared to its supplied sail.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 11:49am
That's a nice idea but I don't think I could get away with that, the racing at L&LSC is fairly serious and there are a couple of 'novas there already. However I do have a similar (but much larger 12 sq metres to the 'nova's 8m) FB mainsail on the Spice and don't think of it as problematic. Oh and I think the Supernova class rules allow for a cut down sail to be used at any time.

So down to Supernova and Lightning 368 unless a very cheap Solution suddenly turns up.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 11:55am
So you speak to the other Nova riders about doing a deal with a local sailmaker and all agree to have the same sail which no doubt will be cheaper than the supplied rig - simples

Supernova class rules? I think you'll find that's one set of rules for the builder to screw with anytime it suits him and entirely another set for the paying consumer, tear them up, would be my advice..

Edited by iGRF - 08 May 17 at 11:56am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 17 at 4:47pm
Another reason to consider a Supernova is the number of open meetings they have in the North, some of which I may enter. In which case I would need the standard sail.......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 17 at 8:42pm
If somebody has a serviceable Solution for under £1200 I will buy it, cash...... If not (which looks the likely answer) what should I do, buy an early Supernova or a second (cheap mk1) Blaze? Both are available for less than £1200. I'm really enjoying the Blaze but am aware of it's shortcomings on a small inland lake (TBF my shortcomings exceed those of the boat). A boat I can sail somewhere near it's PN would be nice and the 'nova looks like a proposition (and I'm going to look at a couple next month if nothing more obvious appears). However, extensive reading of the Supernova forum reveals a frightening number of weight/durability issues with early Giles built boats, heavy but strong or light but fragile. I'm looking for a boat that is good for a 75-80kg sailor, inland (so no kite/trap/racks) but I'm 64 and not as bendy as I was so Europe (which I did fancy) and OK (which I sailed as a teenager) are out. I will probably buy a 'nova if either of the ones I'm going down south to look at are in decent nick but that's 2 ½ weeks away and alternatives would certainly receive consideration (especially if you are selling).  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 17 at 9:43pm
Solo
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>