FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club or Rya Membership required ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club or Rya Membership required ?
    Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by jeffers

As I understand it being a CA member does not cover you as an RYA or RYA affiliated member for the purposes of entering an open meeting.

Its funny, I had that understanding too, but from doing some sketchy looking up recently, from the RRS point of view I don't see why it should be. I don't know if its to do with the Yotty concept of reciprocal privileges between clubs, but that sort of nonsense doesn't come into my life!
If anyone's really concerned they could check with the RYA rules query service.

I might drop the RYA a question (being chair of a CA it would be a legitimate question I feel).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 3:28pm

As I understand it being a CA member does not cover you as an RYA or RYA affiliated member for the purposes of entering an open meeting.

Its funny, I had that understanding too, but from doing some sketchy looking up recently, from the RRS point of view I don't see why it should be. I don't know if its to do with the Yotty concept of reciprocal privileges between clubs, but that sort of nonsense doesn't come into my life!

I might drop the RYA a question (being chair of a CA it would be a legitimate question I feel).

but only send their response to RYA members via PM.... otherwise the rest of them are just freeloading ;-)
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

but only send their response to RYA members via PM.... otherwise the rest of them are just freeloading ;-)

I have to be a personal member anyway as I am an instructor so they can't get out of that. Failing that i will just go bother them at the Show on Sunday.

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 3:32pm
make sure you take your membership card.... they'l be checking for the freeloaders 

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 3:33pm
as a viable alternative:  £45 quid for single membership.... no duties either.

http://www.cnyc.co.uk/about-us/
Time Lord View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 6:55pm
Interesting but they would have to be an RYA Affiliated club for this to work. No mention of this on their website.
Merlin Rocket 3609
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 7:17pm
I don't think it would be hard to find an RYA affiliated club that has a country membership or similar with fee under 45 quid.

Indeed my own club has an Associate membership at 36 quid for former full members. It doesn't give rights to sail, only to use shore facilities. No doubt plenty of other clubs do something similar. I don't see why that sort of thing shouln't be good enough for the RRS because it does put you in the chain of accepting the auhority of RYA and ISAF/WS

http://www.islandbarn.org.uk/index.php/membership/about-membership/41-membership-classes
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Time Lord

Interesting but they would have to be an RYA Affiliated club for this to work. No mention of this on their website.

When they set up in 2013 they had, according to YBW.com, "contacted the RYA with a view to affiliate membership".

Can't see they won't have go it and, as far as I can see many clubs don't mention it in their literature/website unless they are a training centre.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 10:14pm

RRS 75.1 is the World Sailing rule that applies and refers to the person who enters a boat who typically is required to be "a member of a club or other organisation affiliated to a World Sailing member national authority".

NOR or SI can impose other requirements, as can Class Association rules, for example:
  • NOR/SI might impose requirements on 'persons in charge', or crews;
  • Some Class Associations have a rule that crew must be members of the CA.
I suggest that you have a look at some typical NOR/SI.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 17 at 9:07am
True but the NOR/SI can't remove the obligation to abide by rule 75.1 can it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>