FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club or Rya Membership required ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club or Rya Membership required ?
    Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 9:01am
Originally posted by blueboy

Clubs pay an affiliation fee to the RYA that is linked to the number of members. Class associations don't. They may pay a fee to have their rules managed by the RYA or WS but I'm not sure that is "affiliation". The RYA website uses the word "managed" not "affiliated" to describe National classes.

I don't think you're correct, but as my current CA is affiliated to the Canoe NA not the RYA I can't check the accounts for detail.

According to this page:
http://www.rya.org.uk/membership/for-clubs-and-associations/Pages/how-to-affiliate-to-the-rya.aspx
There is definitely an affiliation process for Class Associations, and I'm very very sure that is quite separate to the National Class/Rule Management stuff. I believe you need to be an affiliated class to get CA rates at Sailboat. Its not hard at all to become an affiliated organisation, I think you just have to pay the fee, demonstrate you have a few members and that our organisation isn't totally unacceptable.

The application for for affiliation looks like this:

Application for RYA Affiliation

Affiliation Criteria

An organisation is eligible to apply for affiliation to the RYA if it is interested in furthering the objects of the RYA. Articles of Association of the RYA and Membership Regulations

Types of Membership available for ‘not for profit’ organisations
•     Affiliated Club
•     Affiliated Class Association
•     Affiliated Organisation:
o     Association of Affiliated Clubs
o     Berth Holder Association
o     Registered Charity, other than a club
o     Regatta Committee
o     Other organisation

Organisations that carry on business on a commercial basis will normally be offered ‘Restricted Affiliation’ (Restricted Membership) How to Affiliate to the RYA

Declaration

By signing this form, the organisation agrees that:
•     The contact information given for the organisation and the main contact will be made available to the general public via the RYA website unless indicated otherwise;
•     It will participate in the RYA Annual Club Membership Census;
•     It will participate in the RYA Club Facilities Survey if appropriate, and the RYA Club Audit, as requested;
•     It will provide other information as requested periodically by the RYA;
•     If it organises sailing races then it will do so in accordance with the racing rules of World Sailing and Royal Yachting Association prescriptions thereto; and
•     If it organises powerboat races then it will do so in accordance with the racing rules of the Union Internationale Motonautique and the general competition rules of the Royal Yachting Association.
Checklist
     Completed affiliation application form
     Copy of Constitution attached
     Copy of Class Rules attached (Class Associations only)
     Copy of most recent set of accounts (unless in first year of operation)

Edited by JimC - 28 Feb 17 at 9:07am
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 9:33am
At one time I was involving in running the class association of a National class and iirc we were not affiliated.

I have looked but cannot locate a list of affiliated organisations.

Edited by blueboy - 28 Feb 17 at 9:34am
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 10:11am
It's quite clear now thanks as the rules of private members clubs state in law when entering an event one you agree to abide by there rules but too you are a temporary member for the period of the event.

I'm not sure why to started this "discussion" since you've decided to ignore everything you've been told here - that your statement above is clearly not true - other than perhaps to get a chance to tell us how you don't want to join a club or the RYA. 
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by blueboy

Originally posted by turnturtle

if other members of the class are signing on using the class association, do the same.... if they are not, simply put RYA in the box.  It's not like they are going to check with the RYA if you are a member or not is it?  

Sure, technically this is 'cheating'

And morally it is free-loading on the rest of us who pay in one form or another for the administration of the sport. You may entertain warm and fuzzy feelings towards cheats and free-loaders but I don't.

fair point... maybe I'd take a stronger view for serial offenders, but I'd encourage one or two events a year with a blind eye turned if it helped boost numbers and potentially resulted in another full fee paying body in a year or two.  
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 3:40pm
Or offer an enhanced entry fee for non RYA/affiliated club members. This might have to be with advance entries only because it's difficult for clubs to offer daily 'membership' as licensing regs often require a 48 hour period between application and membership.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:13pm
My understanding has always been that CA membership isn't enough.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:53pm
To be fair to the OP to race most classes you have to be a CA member as well as either an RYA personal member or RYA affiliated club member so it seems like you're paying twice (and again for the actual event entry). 
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 1:42pm
Paying for CA membership actively supports the class of boat you sail and this helps give the class a voice with the builders and the RYA (if affiliated).

As I understand it being a CA member does not cover you as an RYA or RYA affiliated member for the purposes of entering an open meeting. For the simple reason the not all CAs are RYA/WS affiliated and their affiliation is different to a clubs affiliation.

Some club do offer temporary or short term membership for events but this is usually different to being a 'guest' during an event.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by jeffers

As I understand it being a CA member does not cover you as an RYA or RYA affiliated member for the purposes of entering an open meeting.

Its funny, I had that understanding too, but from doing some sketchy looking up recently, from the RRS point of view I don't see why it should be. I don't know if its to do with the Yotty concept of reciprocal privileges between clubs, but that sort of nonsense doesn't come into my life!
If anyone's really concerned they could check with the RYA rules query service.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by JimC

If anyone's really concerned they could check with the RYA rules query service.

wouldn't you have to be a personal member of the RYA to use it though ???  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>