FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club or Rya Membership required ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club or Rya Membership required ?
    Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 2:23pm
You can quite happily try and do what you like really, but at an organised event, then there are perhaps strings and things attached to insurances, ownership of the water, local bye-laws etc. etc. that would put your fellow competitors and organisers in the sh1t if you don't play ball. 
I have a rugby ball in the garage. Quite a nice new one actually.  So I may just sue the arse off the RFU for not letting me play at Twickenham yesterday.
However, I take your point, and you may well be right, but my pockets aren't deep enough to try and prove a point of principal which can be easily circumvented by the suggestions in previous posts.
Be interested to know why it is such an issue for you?

PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 2:32pm
That rule in most clubs is there to allow competitors to buy drinks at the bar as most clubs license only allowed members to buy alcohol.

Exactly!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
MattK View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Sailerf

Now I would rather cut of my arm that give the RYA any money

Go sail around on your own then
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 6:07pm
@sailorf, as you suspected you have received some flack for your question. However I would like to welcome you to the forum and hope the 'robust' response some have given will not deter you from posting on here in the future. 
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 8:14pm
It's not quite the same, but in running events there is usually a free to be paid if you're not a member of the governing body i.e. If you turn up at say, the Stoneybridge 10k, and are not a member of Scottish Athletics Association (in my case) you need to pay £2 extra which is the fee that is paid for the event to be sanctioned. Members of the assoc do not need to pay. OK in sailing we are hardly likely to have a few hundred fun sailors turn up (although enevitably there are a few clowns) but the idea is the same. The governing body needs some income to promote the sport etc etc, but that's another thread I guess....
Sailerf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 8:51pm
It's quite clear now thanks as the rules of private members clubs state in law when entering an event one you agree to abide by there rules but too you are a temporary member for the period of the event. Two wile WS and the RYA can set and up hold the rules on the water and do with your boat, no court would allow them to demand you join an organisation. Thanks for all your input there only seams to be one silly comment of go and sail on your own. I would point out that most clubs are seeing the membership numbers drop year on year. Sailing is a capital expensive sport to enter and will likely see more decrease in numbers as the years go on. I have nothing against my local club and in years to come I will likely rejoin when I have more time. I shall leave this by pointing out that every obstacle that is put up stops people participating. To join my local club and the joining fee for a year is over £600.00 which I could use towards going to say a few travel events that ultimately benefit sailing. Wile some of you will love and others lothe the RYA there should be a choice whether to support them or not. Happy sailing Sailerf
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Sailerf

It's quite clear now thanks as the rules of private members clubs state in law when entering an event one you agree to abide by there rules but too you are a temporary member for the period of the event

Where?

Two wile WS and the RYA can set and up hold the rules on the water and do with your boat, no court would allow them to demand you join an organisation.

Really? 

Thanks for all your input there only seams to be one silly comment of go and sail on your own.

Maybe not so silly after all

I would point out that most clubs are seeing the membership numbers drop year on year. Sailing is a capital expensive sport to enter and will likely see more decrease in numbers as the years go on. I have nothing against my local club and in years to come I will likely rejoin when I have more time. I shall leave this by pointing out that every obstacle that is put up stops people participating. To join my local club and the joining fee for a year is over £600.00 which I could use towards going to say a few travel events that ultimately benefit sailing.

Find a cheaper club, £600 is pretty expensive as club subs go

Wile some of you will love and others lothe the RYA there should be a choice whether to support them or not. Happy sailing Sailerf

You can choose not to support them by not attending any sanctioned events.
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Brass

Originally posted by Rupert

I don't think so. It's all somewhere in the rules, can't remember the wording offhand.

Rule 75

ENTERING A RACE
75.1 To enter a race, a boat shall comply with the requirements of the organizing authority of the race. She shall be entered by
(a) a member of a club or other organization affiliated to a World Sailing member national authority,
(b) such a club or organization, or
(c) a member of a World Sailing member national authority.

Provided that you class association is affiliated with RYA (or WS direct), which it may or may not be, you are OK.

I don't think that's correct in effect. Clubs pay an affiliation fee to the RYA that is linked to the number of members. Class associations don't. They may pay a fee to have their rules managed by the RYA or WS but I'm not sure that is "affiliation". The RYA website uses the word "managed" not "affiliated" to describe National classes.
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:30am
Originally posted by turnturtle

if other members of the class are signing on using the class association, do the same.... if they are not, simply put RYA in the box.  It's not like they are going to check with the RYA if you are a member or not is it?  

Sure, technically this is 'cheating'

And morally it is free-loading on the rest of us who pay in one form or another for the administration of the sport. You may entertain warm and fuzzy feelings towards cheats and free-loaders but I don't.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 6:38am
Originally posted by blueboy

Originally posted by Brass

Originally posted by Rupert

I don't think so. It's all somewhere in the rules, can't remember the wording offhand.
Rule 75 
ENTERING A RACE
75.1 To enter a race, a boat shall comply with the requirements of the organizing authority of the race. She shall be entered by
(a) a member of a club or other organization affiliated to a World Sailing member national authority,
(b) such a club or organization, or
(c) a member of a World Sailing member national authority.
Provided that you class association is affiliated with RYA (or WS direct), which it may or may not be, you are OK.
I don't think that's correct in effect. Clubs pay an affiliation fee to the RYA that is linked to the number of members. Class associations don't. They may pay a fee to have their rules managed by the RYA or WS but I'm not sure that is "affiliation". The RYA website uses the word "managed" not "affiliated" to describe National classes.

I'm not familiar with the arcana of the RYA constitution.

If Class Associations are not affiliated with RYA, then he's not OK is he?

Edited by Brass - 28 Feb 17 at 1:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>