FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankenboat - what's yours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankenboat - what's yours?
    Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by gordon1277

Hi Grf
Dont go to Frensham it gives you brain damage!
I am trying to think of a good reason not to go this year with the Phantom.
Gordon

Ha, not only does it give you brain damage, according to Google it will harm your computer so is blacklisted.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Hi Grf
Dont go to Frensham it gives you brain damage!
I am trying to think of a good reason not to go this year with the Phantom.
Gordon

Ha, not only does it give you brain damage, according to Google it will harm your computer so is blacklisted.

Thanks for pointing out that glitch. I'd asked our webmaster to deter searches made from a particular part of Kent, but it seems to have gone a bit wider than that, so I've told him to take it off again now
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by JimC

Bootscooter
You have a point, The I14 was around of course and the 49er cant have been far behind but the 800 totally agree.

I haven't got my class data spreadsheet here, but as I recall the Exocet/B14E/B4 was mid/late 80s but did almost nothing in the UK for some years. The name was not a clever choice: there is, as I recall, a little 'selective writing' of history about that in one of Bethwaite's books. It didn't make the PY list until 1997.

The 49er was I think 1995 and 5 tonner a year or so earlier.

In the mid 80s the I14 was a very odd beast, spectacularly hamstrung by some very peculiar class rules, but nevertheless has never since reached the popularity it had then, partially perhaps due to a huge amount of publicity, which as rumour has it, was run by the deBeers publicity department. Perhaps too the heavily rules slugged performance, about the speed of a 505, was more in line with what the sailors could cope with?

That'd be down to the publicity from being featured in the epic movie 'Wind'!!!!

turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

Originally posted by JimC

Bootscooter
You have a point, The I14 was around of course and the 49er cant have been far behind but the 800 totally agree.

I haven't got my class data spreadsheet here, but as I recall the Exocet/B14E/B4 was mid/late 80s but did almost nothing in the UK for some years. The name was not a clever choice: there is, as I recall, a little 'selective writing' of history about that in one of Bethwaite's books. It didn't make the PY list until 1997.

The 49er was I think 1995 and 5 tonner a year or so earlier.

In the mid 80s the I14 was a very odd beast, spectacularly hamstrung by some very peculiar class rules, but nevertheless has never since reached the popularity it had then, partially perhaps due to a huge amount of publicity, which as rumour has it, was run by the deBeers publicity department. Perhaps too the heavily rules slugged performance, about the speed of a 505, was more in line with what the sailors could cope with?

That'd be down to the publicity from being featured in the epic movie 'Wind'!!!!

You mean the film where you're winning the 14 worlds but Doris f**ks up the kite hoist / gybe / tack / whatever and you have a snog and laugh about it....
Turkey Pie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turkey  Pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 5:42pm
I think there may be room for a non skiff style twin trap boat.

For me as a 90 kilo guy who has generally sailed trap single handers for 30 years who also owns a well powered up twin trap skiff with my daughter who is 65 kilos. She only wants to crew, so we would not be competitive in single trap boat.

My Frankenboat could pretty much be derived from an Alto with rig size between it and the 800. Because of being narrow would be well overpowered in a breeze but work better on handicap in the light stuff. 

Another benefit would be that the crew wouldn't be required in the "play pen" for most the race. Term for standing on the bow.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 5:57pm
Elvstrom helmed a 505 from the wire with his daughter crewing..... However too many classes, these days, seem to have pointlessly restrictive rules (was it the RS800 that disallowed the crew taking the mainsheet?).
Turkey Pie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turkey  Pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 6:08pm
As it happens that has just been changed. 

No really my point though. Feel a bit sorry for Paul's daughter, this probably meant she had to hike and miss some of the fun.

Incidentally, I always liked the idea of the Spice. I think it was based on the Howlet 1B I14 which I sailed a new one of, "back in the day" It was definitely a handful compared with the more recently designed boats though
ColH View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Turkey Pie

As it happens that has just been changed. 

Incidentally, I always liked the idea of the Spice. I think it was based on the Howlet 1B I14 which I sailed a new one of, "back in the day" It was definitely a handful compared with the more recently designed boats though

Spice took my eye too, back in it's early days. Age clouds the memory, but were there many other 2-wire's back then? I14, obviously (as you allude to); but it was probably well before the Cherub went that way?
Not that 2-wire, or even assymetric, means any god-given pedigree - 505 is certainly still standing the test of time.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 6:45pm
Boss and 5000 predate the Spice.

Why not bung 2 traps on a boat like the Stratos?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Boss and 5000 predate the Spice.

Why not bung 2 traps on a boat like the Stratos?

Ah true - I had a feeling there were others but couldn't remember. Probably the 4000 too.
2 traps on a Stratos.....? Interesting idea.... Could maybe add a third to suspend a picnic hamper from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>