FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topper Bigger sail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topper Bigger sail?
    Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 1:31pm
> Maybe the extra forces would break something.
The spars are a little bit more delicate than ideal as they are when the kids haul everything on tight.
EddyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EddyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 2:45pm
Think all of this has given me enough to work with too, I'm a little on lighter side so I think a topper is the way to go. Does anyone know any sort of 'test-drive' facility/retailer in the South? Does such a thing even exist?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 3:08pm
Most sailing centres have a fleet of toppers which can be hired out for a modest fee. Where abouts in the South are you?
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 4:43pm
Just an idea but I am 6'4" and 17 stone and I sail my kids Pico with the larger Rooster race sail. Yes in the light stuff it is a bit cramped and to beat upwind I find myself sitting up past the main sheets cleats. But if I am not trying to race it and just out in a heavy breeze its great fun. Laser say the standard sail is 5.14m2 and the sport sail is 6.44m2 and made from mylar and has battens. But despite what Laser say about being able to go on a roof rack I would not and it is not a 1 man job if you do give it a try.
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 5:05pm
Another question for the OP, You mention a topper fitting in the back of your van, it's 3.4m long, a Pico is 3.5m a Topaz is a lot longer at 3.86m. Where would you have to draw the line for it to fit in your van? The Topaz is not bad for singlehanding by a reasonable sized adult (a windsurfing pal of mine had one for some time before buying an L3k 18 months ago) but I suspect it might be too big. it's also a fair bit heavier than the Topper (60kg hull weight against 43kg and a more complicated thus heavier rig).

This is quite a useful resource for comparing boat's basic specs  http://www.noblemarine.co.uk/dinghydatabase.php3 
PY numbers are pretty out of date mind you.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 24 Jan 17 at 5:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12