FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghys with keels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
blueboy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:33am
Originally posted by rb_stretch

wherease a 20 foot keelboat will cost 3000 for dry sailing or a marina.

Think 50% more than that, on the south coast anyway.
ChichesterHiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChichesterHiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 1:55am
I am not convinced by the "cost" argument.....and perhaps that is because I am coming at it from the angle of a Viper or a K6 as an alternative to a keelboat.  
I am hoping that the "dinghy with a keel" category of boat will be  less money to run than an SB 20 sports boat because they truly can be ramp launched.....and a whole lot less to run than an X boat or an Etchell.
These boats are much lighter than sports boats like J 70 etc.  they also come with dinghy trollies on their trailers.  I have seen lots of pics of Vioers being ramp launched and towed behind average cars.
Anyway, I will find out when the weather gets better, because I am going to investigate myself. 
ChichesterHiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChichesterHiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 17 at 4:05pm
Googling Vipers VXs and K6s and I came across this:

They have 54 entries for an event in October and the entry list has only been open for four weeks. I would love for this category of boat to be more active over here. 

10 years ago the American one design classes had a reputation of heavy outdated boats while the GBR sailor was seen as more ready to seek high performance . The yanks have either caught up  or overtaken. 

Edited by ChichesterHiss - 04 Mar 17 at 4:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234