FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roofbar separation for Laser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ColH View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roofbar separation for Laser
    Posted: 17 Dec 16 at 7:05pm
Would welcome any helpful views on feasibility of car-topping a Laser when the roof bars are just 30" apart?
Ta
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 16 at 7:28pm
Build a frame on the bars to spread the load? Make sure front and back ties are very firm, using the bars to stop sideways movement.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 16 at 7:31pm
Just to clarify - 30" between front and rear bars (I.e. longitudinally)
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 16 at 7:59pm
I don't think mine are any further apart than that, and I've carried it on them without problems.

Make sure that your front and back ties are good, but I'm sure you do that anyway!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 16 at 8:57pm
Its further spread than a trolley/trailer :)
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 16 at 9:56am
Originally posted by PeterG

I don't think mine are any further apart than that, and I've carried it on them without problems.
Make sure that your front and back ties are good, but I'm sure you do that anyway!

Good ways to tie..? Especially at back. (In the old days, bumpers were separate bits of metal you could get a rope around - modern off-centre towing eyes not so ideal?)
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 16 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ColH

Originally posted by PeterG

Good ways to tie..? Especially at back. (In the old days, bumpers were separate bits of metal you could get a rope around - modern off-centre towing eyes not so ideal?)

I have to use the, off centre, towing eye at the front. It's never been a problem - there's enough mainly forward pull there to stop a major disaster - though it might slew a bit if things loosened. At the back I have a removable tow hook, so I use the socket as the anchor point.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 16 at 10:06pm
Other than the off centre tow hook there's always something to tie to.
In my van I tie through the plastic grille, not structural but enough to steady the boat. In the car I went to the trouble of fitting a Laser boom saddle to the underside of the bumper.
At the back I use the towbar, but I have used the rear wiper pivot in the past!
 Post Reply Post Reply