FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing on new license

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing on new license
    Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 1:52pm
We don't have a section for towing.
Anyway, this doesn't affect me as I'm old. But for the benefit of our less old sailors (& my sons)

I can't make sense of the DVLA towing entitlements for licenses issued after 2007/2013:
Either I'm thick or it should just say:
Vehicle up to 3500Kg MAM
Vehicle + trailer up to 4250Kg combined MAM

DVLA website states:
  • drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 2:43pm
No, if the trailer weighs more than 750 then the total mass, trailer and car/van must be less than 3.5T

Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
RobT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RobT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 2:52pm
It's not the trailer weight - it's the maximum permissable weight. So an empty RIB trailer (braked) plated for 1,200kg you would not be allowed to tow.

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by PeterG

No, if the trailer weighs more than 750 then the total mass, trailer and car/van must be less than 3.5T
Thank you Peter, so my not quite so simple simplification now reads:
Vehicle up to 3500Kg MAM
Vehicle + trailer up to 4250Kg combined MAM, Where trailer MAM is less than 750Kg
Vehicle + trailer up to 3500Kg combined MAM, Where trailer MAM is more than 750Kg

So using Robs 1200Kg plated Rib trailer, empty or loaded, the MAM of the towing vehicle must not exceed 2300Kg.

Have I got this right now?
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 10:35pm
don't forget about maximum towing weights the vehicle permits

so for a seat arosa for example 

Unbraked Towing Weight-
Braked Towing Weight650kg

not quite sure it cant tow anything unbraked though 

considering its kerb weight is 840kg i would presume it should do 420kg

although i've towed around 250kg with a 1.1L and while it was ok i wouldn't go anymore than that

Edited by ClubRacer - 29 Nov 16 at 10:43pm
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 10:50pm
VW give 450Kg unbraked for the Lupo, same thing.
That's enough for most small dinghies.

Just as well really, costs for getting a B+E test are £500++
But if you can tow up to 3.5T combined then that covers most recreational activities. Except horses I guess.
ROG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ROG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 17 at 9:29am
Originally posted by piglet

VW give 450Kg unbraked for the Lupo, same thing.
That's enough for most small dinghies.

Just as well really, costs for getting a B+E test are £500++
But if you can tow up to 3.5T combined then that covers most recreational activities. Except horses I guess.

1 horse can be towed on a B licence with the right vehicle and down plated trailer

Example
Skoda Octavia 4x4
GVW 1998
Tow max 2000
Trailer 1700 but down plated via manufacturer to 1500
Trailer empty 700
Max load for trailer 800

ROG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ROG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 17 at 9:30am
I hope this rather long post will be useful ........

Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

Licensing laws are based on plated weights not actual weights.

GVW, MAM or MTPLM means maximum permissible legal weight when fully loaded.

The towing vehicle GVW can be obtained from the V5 registered keepers form listed as maximum permissible mass, the handbook, or a plate somewhere on the vehicle – usually under bonnet or hidden in a door frame – the top figure is always the GVW.

Towing capacity (manufacturer actual towing weight limit) – not legally enforceable in the RTA but based on safety and engine power under certain conditions.

GTW - the max legal weight the vehicle and trailer can ACTUALLY weigh when added together. This does not refer to the total of the vehicle GWV and trailer MAM weights.
In most cases, the GVW added to the towing capacity will also be the GTW.

The trailer info can be obtained from a plate on the trailer, by calling the trailer manufacturer, or on the internet. If no plate then the total of the TYRE LOAD RATINGS http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating will be used by the authorities to determine the MAM to a maximum of 3500 even if the total is more than that.

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to cope with the plated MAM of a trailer but there are plenty of internet myths on this.

The only legally recognised way to down plate a trailer of 3500 kgs MAM or less is to contact the trailer manufacturer usually at very little cost.

The laws/rules are these for both B+E & B licence towing.
The GVW of the vehicle must not be exceeded (RTA law)
The GTW must not be exceeded (RTA law)
The plated MAM of the trailer must not be exceeded (RTA law).
The towing capacity should not be exceeded (can be prosecutable under C&U regulation 100).
The lower of the trailer MAM or the towing capacity must/should be used as the maximum actual weight when loaded.

For B licence towing with a trailer over 750 kgs MAM.
The vehicle GVW added to the trailer MAM must not exceed 3500 kg (RTA law)

EXAMPLE
Vehicle
GVW 2050 kg
Towing capacity 1700 kg
GTW 3750 kg

Trailer
Un-laden/empty 700 kg
MAM 2000 kg

For B+E licence towing the trailer can be loaded with 1000 kgs because 1000+700=1700 kg which is the towing capacity.

For B licence towing the trailer would need down plating from 2000 kgs to a maximum of 1450 kg.
The reason is that 1450+2050=3500 which is the maximum allowed for B licence towing.
The trailer can be loaded with 750 kg because 750+700=1450 kg which is the trailer MAM.

Caravan weights work on a slightly different system as they take into account the recommended (not legal) 85% towing advice.

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3kmFc&feature=related - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise = http://www.drivesafedriving.co.uk/b_e_rev_movie.htm - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM = https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68791/LGV_PCV_BE_manoeuvring_exercise_area_diagram.pdf
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8dGg&feature=related - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

The trailer must now be loaded with 600 kgs of sand bags or a 1000 kgs water IBC for the test so most companies are now training with that weight in the trailer = https://www.gov.uk/new-laden-testing-rules-for-driving-test-vehicles

Well explained here = http://www.trailertraining-wales.co.uk/test.html

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test that means you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS = http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521
Remember that the required 600 kgs of sand bags or 1 x 1000 IBC filled with water will be required in the trailer and the load must be secure.

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 17 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by ROG

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to cope with the plated MAM of a trailer but there are plenty of internet myths on this.

Thank you Rog, good reading.
I note with interest your point on vehicle capacities vs trailer GVW.
I couldn't find a definitive answer to this other than heresay and speculation.
Argueing the point on the roadside with a 'scaley' might be difficult.
ROG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ROG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 17 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by piglet

Originally posted by ROG

Thank you Rog, good reading.
I note with interest your point on vehicle capacities vs trailer GVW.
I couldn't find a definitive answer to this other than heresay and speculation.
Argueing the point on the roadside with a 'scaley' might be difficult.

The reason you cannot find anything is because there is no such law or rule stating that the plated MAM (weight law) cannot exceed the manufacturers max towing capacity (C&D law)
That means a driver cannot be charged or prosecuted with a non existent law
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>