FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS 200 or RS Feva XL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MiataMan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MiataMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS 200 or RS Feva XL
    Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 3:27pm
Stuck at a decision here; which would be best for 2 small adults to sail, one (myself) experienced in sailing despite having a year or 2 out of the sport with work commitments and the other (my OH) being a novice. We weigh a combined 15 stone weighing ~7.5 stone each each. I worry that the Feva will be too small for me at around 5'8 whereas my OH is 5'3; but will an RS 200 be too large for us?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 3:30pm
Have you sailed both? If not do! And where are you planning to sail?

RS200 definitely the more sophisticated boat for adults, but the Feva is a sweet little thing and surprisingly quick in enough breeze.

Edited by JimC - 17 Aug 16 at 3:31pm
MiataMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiataMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 3:42pm
I've personally sailed a Feva when I was learning to sail; that's what's attracted me back to the RS brand. We're likely to sail on freshwater lakes. I'll have an ask around our local club to see if anyone's got either for us to get a go in for an afternoon.
Thanks.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 11:22pm
I think you'll find the Feva too small. Couple that with the fact that if you ever want to take part in any fleet racing you'll be sailing against a bunch of 12-16yr olds!

The 200 is by far and away your best bet if you limit your choices to these boats.

Dont however rule out Miracles, Graduates, Fireflies etc. which would all be suitable for you. Best check what is sailed at your local club as its always better sailing alongside people with the same type of boat.

Finally 15st combined!!!!! WOW thats light for two adults. Me and my 8 yr old daughter weigh in at just under 19st! You'll go well in light winds!
Graduate 2928
OK 2071
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 16 at 6:38pm
Merlin.

Look out for one of the older boats (with carbon spars). 

It's also lighter to pull up the beach! It will also hone your boat handling skills

Colin
cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 16 at 6:45pm
If you like a challenge: 29er
 Post Reply Post Reply