FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to dinghy sailing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rnew4779 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rnew4779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to dinghy sailing
    Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 4:33pm
hi all

needing a little advice. am new to dinghy sailing and in the process of learning to sail and thinking of buying a second hand dinghy but am a little lost of what to go for. my problem is am on the big side (19stone) could anyone advice of what dinghy might me best?

thanks in advance
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 5:53pm
I would say although I respect your enthusiasm and desire to get going, keep your powder dry for the time being. I assume you are or will be a member of a sailing club, that being the case if available use a good variety of club boats also if possible "put yourself about" as a potential crew. 
Yes I know the idea of  helming your own boat is very attractive but please do not discount the possibility of crewing, it is by no means at all a second class option, there is lots to learn and somebody keen with your size could be in great demand for running the front end jobs in some interesting and exciting boats. 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 7:11pm
An idea of where you sail, what sort of sailing you might like to do, whether you would be alone, that kind of thing, would also help.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 7:13pm
How many dinghy crewing gigs are there for 19 stone blokes though.... Old Phantom or Finn. Not a lot of other choices for singlehanded monohulls I'm afraid.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 7:22pm
Proper man sized boats TT. Wayfarer, Flying Fifteen, Osprey, Javelin, 505.
Yeh yeh, sym. "kites too difficult" tosh and nonsense, I've taught 3 people from near enough scratch in my kited n wired boat with no dramas.

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Do Different

Proper man sized boats TT. Wayfarer, Flying Fifteen, Osprey, Javelin, 505.
Yeh yeh, sym. "kites too difficult" tosh and nonsense, I've taught 3 people from near enough scratch in my kited n wired boat with no dramas.

good call on those classes.... Osprey and Javelin particularly!!!  

and sym kites are simply more elegant- I'm well over naff 1990's point n' squirt asymmetric water sledges.   Wink

Edited by turnturtle - 13 Jul 16 at 9:45am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 5:40pm
Come on then TT, honest injun.
Three options.
1 You've had a bump to the head.
2 Your sarcasm has become too subtle for me to detect
3 You've turned 40 and have begun to reappraise the classics of yesteryear.

Beer Handshake

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 6:03pm
Nope, I gave all my CDs to charity, threw my global hyper colour t-shirt in the skip and until just now, removed 'mad for it' from my day-to-day vernacular.

The 90's are over... And I'll go to my grave no regrets that I never did get around to buying that Topper Spice.

Edited by turnturtle - 13 Jul 16 at 6:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply