FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Optimum Balanced course for PY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optimum Balanced course for PY
    Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 12:06am
So whats everyone's go to course when running handicap racing to make it as fair as possible for;
Fast/slow/cats
Assy/sym/Kiteless boats

Theres no limit to space so the legs can be as long as possible (but be realistic....)
No tide, as a course can always be adjusted to allow for it either way
You've got the best safety boat crew in the world and there is no limit to there ability to set the most complex of courses 

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 11:27am
Not possible in my opinion.

Just make sure there's plenty of variety over the course of the series, and don't try to stick to a single supposedly perfect course. Ring the changes as much as possible for reaching legs and course configurations, but try to always get a true beat and a true run each week. As for the rest, P courses, triangles, squares, long thin rectangles, irregular quadrilaterals, just mix 'em up.

Most of all try and set a course that will be as much fun as possible for as many competitors as possible in the conditions prevailing that week.

The way to think of it is that PY numbers are calculated from the huge variety of different courses set by all the different clubs round the country, so setting a huge variety of different courses has got to be the best match to the numbers.

Edited by JimC - 10 Jul 16 at 11:39am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 11:55am
At my club first leg always a beat, first mark always port, OOD then sets rest of course.
When I am OOD I always go for a fast reaching course, even if it means almost every mark is a Gybe, I have never considered putting a run in.
The buoys are 7 in number and are layed in a oval pattern.
Kev M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 423zero

At my club first leg always a beat, first mark always port, OOD then sets rest of course.
When I am OOD I always go for a fast reaching course, even if it means almost every mark is a Gybe, I have never considered putting a run in.
The buoys are 7 in number and are layed in a oval pattern.

I hate courses like that personally. Every leg it's just a drag race with no real tactics required except for the beat. The legs might be fun but the racing isn't. Every course should have at least one proper run in my opinion.
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 1:38pm
This of course is the course I set, other OOD's set their own course of course  Smile
I like watching Laser's etc planing, if you want run's sail a "Square rigger", well that is what I say.  Wink
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 2:11pm
Has to have something of everything, including runs, but some fun reaching will keep those not just out there for a result on handicap coming back for more.

The tactics are certainly in the beats and runs, though.

If I could only have one, then beat, reach, gybe, reach, gybe/bear away onto run down to the Lee mark, then beat back up.

Today, at least. Or maybe a trapezoidal one. Or a figure 8. Or...

Jim's right. Different course every week. But please no fetches!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 2:38pm
The problem is that reaches are very boat specific but runs and beats are almost completely neutral to the majority 

something like a 'P' as long as the reaches are kept small(proportionately so) to the beat and run. Obviously this benefits the smaller boats and completely stuffs the Cats

PeterG View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 2:42pm
At my previous club we gave up trying - and had a W/L for the asymetrics and a triangle for the rest - most of the time.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

The problem is that reaches are very boat specific but runs and beats are almost completely neutral to the majority 
something like a 'P' as long as the reaches are kept small(proportionately so) to the beat and run. Obviously this benefitsp the smaller boats and completely stuffs the Cats

How are runs not of benefit (at least on a confined lake) to either symmetric spinnakers boats or shroudless singlehanders?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

I really don't think that's true.

If you consider boats that don't plane upwind and aren't fast enough to apparent wind sail downwind then on beats and runs they are basically going to be displacement sailing all the time, and a high wetted area planing type hull will be at a huge disadvantage to a low wetted area semi displacement oriented boat.

And if you consider spinnaker boats then that sort of course favours boats with very large kites that can't sail hot angles over boats with smaller kites that can sail fast on a greater variety of legs.

Edited by JimC - 10 Jul 16 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>